THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Turkey w/Osage Selfbow ....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Turkey w/Osage Selfbow ....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Congratulations! KS sure looks green still, half our leaves are gone already. I too have seen turkeys but they keep seeing me too.

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done. I've taken a turkey with compound bow, but using your selfbow is the sporting way.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Thanks
I pick all of my trees, cut them, split them into staves, air dry the wood and make my own bows and some for others.
I do Osage, Hickory, Hackberry, Ash and a few Mountain Maple from Idaho when I can get them.
Use some of the osage and cut into slats for making Bamboo Backed Osage bows. Very fast and quiet, light in the hand.
Been making a using selfbows since 95'. Make my own rivercane arrows with turkey feathers and flint points for deer here in Oklahoma.

Mike

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations that truly is a trophy!

Did you go from tree to bow, or did you buy a blank? I keep looking but have not seen a tree with a bow hidden in it yet!

Sure have found some pretty wood hidden in the ones I have cut up so far though! Nice knife handles, I have thought they would make a pretty Box Call!

GREAT trophy, great bow!

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike: A tip of the fedora for sticking that turkey. That's a gorgeous bow you made. And I am envious that you have rivercane at hand, as we don't have it here in Oregon -- but we do have lots of hazel, syringa and red osier dogwood (my favorite) for arrow shafting as well as dogbane for cordage and bowstrings. When you say mountain maple from Idaho, are you referring to vine maple?
If you would like some obsidian for knapping out some points, I would be happy to send you some. You ought to wander over to paleoplanet and show off your bows!

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote