THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Crossbow accuracy question

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Crossbow accuracy question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
How many pounds is your Crossbow? The less pounds the more it will arc and the more time it will take to get to the target. I had a 90# when I was young you could site it at 25yrds and hit extremely low at 30. It would shoot a tight group, hell on bolts, but I made all of mine out of 3/8" birch dowel rods with 38spc shell glued on the back and a field point on the front. They were a lot heavier than aluminum but I used what I had. Only real problem I can remember was that the archery range would not let me shoot them at there target, they would berry into the target if not shoot all the way through. But I was young and it was a lot of fun.

Good luck and have fun with your Crossbow.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used mechanicals for a while. They shoot really well and did a good job on the deer I killed. I just like the standard broadheads. The deer I killed with mechanicals ran like they were shot out of a cannon. The deer I killed with standard broadheads (Muzzy) hardly ran at all. This was not due to the broadhead killing any better. The standard broadhead went through the deer so fast they didn't know what had happened. They ran about 10 yards, stopped and looked around - Then just fell over dead. It is almost comical! Both broadheads killed the deer just as dead. I just find I like the standard broadheads.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had that happen with almost every deer shot with a strong recurve. Several even went back to eating apples after I shot through them. I do not find that with the compounds and deer do run farther. I think it is because of the speed of the arrow giving more shock to the deer, scaring them. Could be the bows make more noise too. Noise will make them run much quicker then the arrow passing through. It is the frequency of the noise, not the loudness.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote