Find
Notify
Tools

CARDIO REHAB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello the campfire:
I am working my way back (slowly) from by-pass surgery. Out of bordum and frustration the other day I picked up my bow and tried to pull it. I was surprised that I was able to come to full draw. I am able to draw three and a half times before my arms and chest give out. I hope that I will be able to draw at least ten times before the bow season starts here in Alabama (Oct. 14). At least I hope to get in some practice. Last year I shot 15-20 shots three times a week, NOT THAT I SAW ANY DEER. Maybe if I dont practice I will at least see a small doe or fawn.
Any suggestions for building up my chest again?
I cant wait to get back in to the woods again, except that time goes too fast as it is.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good luck and speedy recovery!

~Ann

Posts: 19128 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Judge,How much poundage you pulling? bewilderedCompound?If your luck is like mine ,you got it right about not practiceing and getting lotsa shots! clapHappens everytime,you should be fine takeing a good close shot without tons of arrow flinging at targets.Hope your recovery is speedy! waveGood Luck and get a biggen! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I did a heart attack and a triple bypass in Jan 03 and I took until July that year before I even tried to warm up on the bow. It was slow, but now I can shoot a lot better than before and I have a lot more strength. I have been back to better than before for some time but I'm still not jumping out of airplanes yet. I killed a 7 and an 8 pt last year and some does with the bow. Give it some time and don't give up..you'll get there!!

Good luck and keep going full ahead!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck Judge, My bowhunting buddy had a big chunk of his neck removed(cancer). He missed one season but he kept practicing and was able to hunt the next season. I got to watch him arrow a nice fat doe on his farm opening day. Quite a thrill.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Judge - Get in front of a practice bail. Real close 5', close. Come to full draw, hold it as long as you can, making a mental count. Only do this 5-6 times then take a break. This will strenghten the upper back muscles and help you hold full draw.

Another one is a slow draw. Just like it sounds, slowly draw the bow, the slower the better. Again make a mental count.

At 1st you won't be able to sdo either very long. However, if you stay with it you will see improvements.

Also, your shooting form & accuratcy will greatly improve.

Best of luck on your rehab.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge first of all I am glad your better and are

working on your bow. I am sure you will get

there. And besides it gives me hope. I just had

my neck operated on and as of yet can't draw a

bow. Best of luck.

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good thoughts. I am trying to get in all the re-hab that I can so that I will be able to get in the woods this year. I do not want to go to a cross bow, mostly becaus of my butt headed pride. 7-Mag, good luck with your recovery. I have not had a neck cutting yet, but I did have a back surgery a number of years ago, and know all about working through the pain. hang in there.
Bill Brower

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I had the same thoughts on the X bow. I shot my compound the first two years and now I'm trying to learn how to shoot a recurve again. The chest is healed now, but I fell off a manure spreader a few weeks back and hurt my shoulder...but...I'm not letting that stop me!!

Give it some time...it will all come together for ya!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote