Back when men were men.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'll say. Young and his friend Saxton Pope got it done with the purity they learned from Ishi.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice
excellent look back thanks for the look see

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of a Snowflake that can do what they did? Better yet, damn few of to days hunters are that tough!

Posts: 143 | Location: mid-michigan | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thaw was neat to watch. I thought it was pretty impressive how many arrows he pumped into that moose and to a lesser extent the bear.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
An old buddy of mine got me interested in bow hunting about 30 years ago. Compound. Then he moved on to building his own longbows using Yew as far as I know. but he just took the challenge to the next level; he even took it hog hunting + after he shot one he wanted to go after it but thank God his grown son was there + said, Dad, is that really a smart thing to do?. Excuse me but when I'm hog hunting I want ALL the advantages I can get + that includes an M1A.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great old film

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
I have the book about Ishi somewhere in the office. A great read! Last of his tribe. His later years were at the University of CA, he lived in the dorms at Berkley. When asked what was the greatest of tools the white man came up with, his answer was "The Vise".

Speaking of men, I recall reading of Howard Hill when he went on his African hunt and killed a bull elephant with his long bow.

Howards bow had a 105 pound pull!!! I think the arrows were made from 1/2 inch diameter wood dowels and were around 36 inches long.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Regarding Howard Hill:
http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/history/Hill.html

– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've been Bowhunting for around fifty years and started before compounds were being sold. Other than a few times trying them the rest have been with recurves and longbows some of which I built. The thing I never like about compounds is why make something so simple complex? It just takes a lot of practice.

I've had the opertunity to handle a couple of both Pope's and Young's bows years ago. Pretty cool.
archer

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I hunted traditional for years, long before compounds came on the scene. Big Grin Still have both a Bear Grizzly and a Bear Kodiak-both 55 lb recurves that shooting perfectly. Big Grin I have also hunted with compounds. Both have their virtues and vices. tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I still recall that photo of Fred Bear (by his back photographer) ready to shoot an elephant. Muy cajones!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have most of the videos (films) that Fred Bear made. It's interesting to watch how he stalked. He didn't mess around and moved quickly until he was close. Then he snuck in.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Roger, those bows you have made -- self bows? Pacific yew? Vine maple?

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Roger, those bows you have made -- self bows? Pacific yew? Vine maple?

Yes, locally harvested yew for both the self bows and a hickory backed yew bow. I learned in one of Jay St Charles bow building classes. We where both directors of our states bowhunting organization at the time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtube.com/playlist?l...pVOnlzByean1RmUJOeCw
Look at some of the other videos too

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I still recall that photo of Fred Bear (by his back photographer) ready to shoot an elephant. Muy cajones!

Fred always had someone with a big rifle accompanying him, I forget how many times it took for him to get the polar bear thing right. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVArigvh_Q

1992 made for tv movie starring Jon Voight about Ishi, "Last of his Tribe".

Well worth watching.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
+1. On the Ishi movie. tu2
A good but sad tale.

I also have the book by Saxton Pope, another good one.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*