New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering bow hunting. I have a shoulder issue so I don't know whether a long bow is even realistically possible. I was a fair bow shot when I was 14, but I'm mid-fifties now. Any thoughts about crossbow versus longbow versus compound bow? What is the max range for each in a standard weight bow of each type? & etc etc etc?

Advice gratefully appreciated.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Ah, a take-home essay question...

Crossbows, at least in my area, require special permits and/or you need to be handicapped.

Compound bows are the only way to go. No need to go too fancy if you're worried about a shoulder. A good solid base bow like a PSE Deerhunter or Nova are relatively inexpensive (say $200 for a package deal - sights, rest, peep, release loop). They come in various draw weights - perhaps you'd consider something in the 45-60# range because of your shoulder. A good sales guy at any archery shop will help you sort out the details of bow fit, arrow weight and length, etc.

Here's a few general tips:

1) Get a peep sight. They are dirt cheap ($2) and worth 500 times that. I like the apeture-only type.

2) Get a Whisker Biscuit rest/launcher with the pie-shaped cut-out. The WB is one of the nicest additions to bow-hunting since the wheel.

3) 100 gr field tips and broadheads will be fine.

4) Use a release - they are right up there with the WB in importance.

5) Make sure you get a bow that is natural for you. I am right-handed, but I shoot a bow left handed (meaning I draw the string with my left hand).

6) Use carbon arrows. Aluminum is for beer cans.

7) Get a stabilizer - they are cheap ($5) and help with the balance of the bow.

As for distance. I shoot an 80# bow with a 300 gr carbon arrow with a 100 gr tip. I am comfortable shooting at whitetails out to about 50 yds.

Anyway... I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff, but arhcery is a real blast. I guarantee that your first bowkill will be wait more exciting than a gun kill...