THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Possible Bowhunting ban in RSA?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible Bowhunting ban in RSA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
The draft for The Norms and Standards for the Regulation of the Hunting Industry in South Africa was released yesterday.

Specifically it outlines bows and arrows as inhumane and calls for the prohibition of their use in South Africa. Anybody got any more info on this? When would this go into effect? How serious a threat is this to ban bowhunting in RSA?

From SCI

quote:
SCI - First For Hunters

In the Crosshairs -- e-news from SCI 's Washington Office
The latest and hottest news on federal, state, and international

political and conservation events

May 3, 2006

New Hunting Regulations Issued for South Africa
Below is a very brief and preliminary review of the documents released today about hunting in South Africa:

* Two documents have been released –

o Draft National Norms and Standards for the Regulation of the Hunting Industry in South Africa
o Draft Regulations Relating to Listing Threatened or Protected Species

* Both are open to written comments until June 19, 2006 / Comments should go to: The Director-General, Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, Private Bag X447, Pretoria, South Africa, 0001, For attention: Dr. Pieter Botha. Dr. Botha’s e-mail address is pbotha@deat.gov.za.
* Based on a PRELIMINARY review, the National Norms and Standards appear to address the following issues –

o Uniform national regulation of the hunting industry
o Prohibition on hunting permits for damage-causing animals (they are to be culled by authorities, except in cases of self-defense)
o Hunters (unless accompanied by professional hunters) must be members of recognized hunting organizations which have a code of ethical conduct and good practice and which support Black Economic Empowerment; this applies to amateur and professional hunters and hunting outfitters;
o An association of hunting organizations may apply for recognition as the national association of hunting organizations;
o Darting, use of bows or spears, luring, baiting, use of dogs, use of vehicles and aircraft, use of lights, are either prohibited or limited; rifles and handguns designed for hunting are authorized;
o Animals may not be hunted if drugged or “trapped against a fence or in a small enclosure where the animal does not have a fair chance of evading the hunter;â€
o Limits are put on hunting on private land adjacent to protected areas where there is no fence;
o There is a definition of humane in relation to hunting: - “is reconcilable with the prevailing norms of society against cruelty to animals,†and “causes no or minimum (i) suffering for the hunted animal; and (ii) distress to other animals in the vicinity of the hunted animal.â€

* We have not yet reviewed the 61-page regulation on threatened and protected species.

SCI will continue to monitor the situation in South Africa and inform our members of any developments.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I haven't heard anything about it. Although, if you read the article, it says that the use of bows, spears, etc. are either "prohibited" or "limited".

I take this to mean that they could either do away with them completely, or just further restrict their use/ or make the requirements more stringent. (i.e. greater arrow weight, greater bow draw weight, etc.).

I'd keep a close eye on it. To me, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense as it would make it harder for people to go and hunt what they want, "how" they might want. Could limit their economical income.

We'll see how it turns out.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it will simply remain a ban on pachyderms with a bow...but I am not sure, other will know better

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There have been many comments, concerns and opinions expressed the past couple of days regarding the situation in South Africa and its new recommendations to amend the hunting laws there, particularly as they relate to bowhunting.

Today I spoke with Stewart Dorrington, probably the most informed person about this issue and who is also privy to the most current information. Not only is Stewart a bowhunter and the owner of Melorani Bowhunting Safaris, he is also the president of PHASA (Professional Hunters Association of South Africa) and was appointed to the government’s "Panel of Experts" who drafted the current recommendations. Today his words to me were, "What many people do not understand about the current situation with bowhunting in South Africa is that it is a prohibited activity which is allowed under special permits. The new proposed language is exactly the same. Bowhunters need not panic, as the new legislation will not likely affect legitimate, permitted facilities to continue bowhunting of plains game. There may be some changes on dangerous game, but it is too early to tell what those changes may be."

Stewart will be returning from a wildlife/hunting meeting in Cyprus to South Africa next week and will update me as details become available.

neil@bowhuntingsafari.com