New
Find
Notify
Tools

cutting carbon arrows
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know what to use to cut carbon arrows? I was thinking maybe a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Max

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a "mini cut off saw" at Harbor Freight tools cheap.
mini cut off saw

Its nothing fancy but probably more precise than the free hand dremel tool. I replaced the blade with 2" cutoff wheel that I got at the hardware store. It works great. You will need to support the arrows a bit on the long end with a block of wood. It has a built in miter gauge.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I used to be "one of us" but now I am back to "new member". What happened?

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of JVD22250
posted Hide Post
You can cut them on a regular arrow cut off saw. Just make sure the blade is set at the correct depth. If your worried, you can put a wrap of masking tape at the cut.

Before you glue in the inserts, be sure to clean them. A case brush for a .270 works well with some denatured alcohol.

For the inserts, Power Bond works pretty well.

Hope this helps!

John VanDusen
Ishpeming, MI
"YOOPERLAND U.S.A."

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Max,

I use a Dremel tool w/ the cutting disk but, I built a jig to hold it and the shaft, it works similar to a comercial arrow saw. One thing I do is I don't just cut the shaft in one direction, I roll the shaft. It probably doesn't make that much of a difference but, I believe if you roll the shaft it gives you more of a square cut.

Be sure you get the carbon dust out of the inside of the shaft before you glue the insert in.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote