THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Magnus results from the Weekend...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnus results from the Weekend...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Had to put one of these Magnus two blade vented 100 grains heads to the Test this Weekend since they did so well from my Mathews at 300+ fps. Don, Like you said they spin true despite being glued on. They fly true & group with my field points so, I've had one in the quiver since the season started. Since I shot the head into the target a few times to verify it's flight I hit it on the diamond stone a bit to get it shaving sharp.

Friday afternoon I arrived to a stand about 4:30pm and by 5pm I had two doe feeding right under my tree(A big pin oak) but they stayed in the brush and didn't offer a clear shot. After about 15 Minutes they came strolling back by at around 5-7 yards from the base of my tree and when the older doe hit a clearing I drew and stopped her. You would know she took another step before stopping and looked right at me all while standing w/ her vitals covered by a limb. I leaned very slowly until I had a clear hole and let fly. She ran about 60 yards and stopped. After a couple of seconds she fell over and crashed a bit then, got up and ran another 15 or so yards and it was over.

Since it was early, I stayed on stand in hopes to see a buck cruising around w/ no luck. After dark I got down and found my arrow burried deep into the dirt and covered in good blood.

Now, the bad news, after about 5 yards of blood the blood trail ended and luckily I knew about where she fell. There was sparse drops here and there but very little if any for some stretches. I made a couple of circles in the thicket and found her pretty easily. I was disappointed in the lack of blood from this two blade head w/ this type of good vitals hit, much less blood than I get from my three blade heads. This was merely one deer and I will try these heads on more game to give me a little better ideaa of there performance.

The arrow entered very close to the shoulder bone, cut a rib on entry, traveled through the vitals, hit another rib on exit, came out her arm pit, severed the tendons to the leg, and cut a large chunk of bone off of the joint before coming to rest deep into the dirt.

Some more good news on the head was after bones and the arrow impacting the dirt I thought it may not fly as well as before but, I was wrong. I washed the blood from the arrow dropped back to 20 yards and it was still dead on. Hit it on the diamond stone and she's ready for another pass.

Ya'll Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

I had a poor blood trail from a similar shot last week. I think when the shot is high in the zone and cuts the heart/aorta the blood trail ceases with the blood pressure.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Deer don't bleed much if you hit them there and the exit it at the same level on the other side.

They don't go far though so it's usually not an issue.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Deer don't bleed much if you hit them there and the exit it at the same level on the other side.

I'll clear that up, The arrow entered there and almost came out the bottom of the deer. I was 20 feet up in an oak and she was about 15 feet from the bottom of my tree.

You are right, if you shoot them on level ground right there, the blood trail will be very sparse most of the time. I blew a big hole through a buck w/ a 06 a few years back and didn't think I'd ever find that rascal, he was hit high and level.

I've shot a pile of them in the same scenario pretty much w/ 3 blade heads and there was blood sprayed all over leading up to the animal. I'm going to give them a few more trys and see how the trails fair. These heads are surprisingly true.

I see your point Don, never really though of it that way. I don't think it helped that the exit was just a slit. Probably would have been a better trail If I had used the version w/ the bleeder blades.

Ya'll have a good one.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:

I'll clear that up, The arrow entered there and almost came out the bottom of the deer. I was 20 feet up in an oak and she was about 15 feet from the bottom of my tree.

You are right, if you shoot them on level ground right there, the blood trail will be very sparse most of the time. I blew a big hole through a buck w/ a 06 a few years back and didn't think I'd ever find that rascal, he was hit high and level.

I've shot a pile of them in the same scenario pretty much w/ 3 blade heads and there was blood sprayed all over leading up to the animal. I'm going to give them a few more trys and see how the trails fair. These heads are surprisingly true.

I see your point Don, never really though of it that way. I don't think it helped that the exit was just a slit. Probably would have been a better trail If I had used the version w/ the bleeder blades.

Ya'll have a good one.

Reloader

Thanks for clearing that up. The only thing I can think of besides the "slit only" comments is this. Often deer have some fat lumped around the sternum.

On pigs, it's real bad. Lots of fat on those guys.

I refer to this stuff as "FIX-A-FAT" and it will flat interfere with a blood trail if you punch a broadhead thru it. Bleeders help but I have found, if you can use a three blade head you are better off.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I had also assumed it was a level shot.

With a hole near the bottom it should have bled some. We get some really fat ones here that plug up like TBG says, but that doe does not look all that fat from here...

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Nice going!

We hunted last evening and I opted to let my brother have first shot. He was up a tree 20 yards away. We had 4 Does come in and he never had a good angle. I just watched the show.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, It's fun to be close to someone while bow hunting and get to watch the show.

When I was in college I had an urban area to hunt w/ archery and these two bucks had been traveling through a natural funnel one early archery season in the evenings. I set up two stands about 40 yards apart in the funnel so two of us could cover the gap. I had my dad come into town and I put him on a nice 7 point that evening. I sat just 40 yards away and watched the whole show. Pretty exciting to say the least.

Ya'll have good luck.

We are headed out next Thursday for Elk and Mulies. Looks like I'll get one more week in for the early season whitetails around here. This cool front this weekend may make them stir alittle more. This moon has had them moving in the middle of the day here a good bit.

Reloader