Find
Notify
Tools

Draw length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted
In general, does ones optimal draw length stay the same between a compound and recurve?

Posts: 44 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
most people draw 1" longer with a compound than they do with a recurve because of the break over of the compound and the full poundage of the recurve at full draw

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
AND many people move thier heads forward when they shoot trad subconsiously, hence reducing draw lenght and making the full draw weight less. A classic sign of being over bowed.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I currently shoot a 65# compound w/70% letoff. I am going to purchase my first recurve. I was thinking about a 55# pound bow. What is the best way to determine draw weight in a recurve?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This will depend on how far you draw it back. The recurve draw weight was measured at 28". Most bows will increase about 2# per inch so if you draw 29" the weight will be 57#. Draw length on a recurve will almost always be shorter then a compound.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dman:
Thanks for the info. I currently shoot a 65# compound w/70% letoff. I am going to purchase my first recurve. I was thinking about a 55# pound bow. What is the best way to determine draw weight in a recurve?

I always recommend finding an old 35-45# bow on E-bay or at a trad expo to learn with. Once you get your form down THEN spend the money on a 55# bow. You'll also need to learn what type of grip you shoot best with. My bows have a more nuetral grip, I don't like the feel of a pistol grip. You just can't know until you've shot a lot of arrows.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always recommend finding an old 35-45# bow on E-bay or at a trad expo to learn with. Once you get your form down THEN spend the money on a 55# bow. You'll also need to learn what type of grip you shoot best with. My bows have a more nuetral grip, I don't like the feel of a pistol grip. You just can't know until you've shot a lot of arrows.

That sounds like good advice.

I just rescently got my first recurve (Ben Pearson Mustang) and I noticed right off it's nothing like a compound. I shoot 80 and 70 pound compounds w/ ease and it amazed me at how the recurve feels like you are pulling much more poundage than you really are. I can imagine the higher poundage 60-80 recurves take some getting used to to be accurate. 80 at full draw would be a whole new realm compared to an 80# compound w/ 65% let off.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always recommend finding an old 35-45# bow on E-bay or at a trad expo to learn with. Once you get your form down THEN spend the money on a 55# bow.

Thanks for the tips
D

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
There are two big Traditional expos each spring East - Kalamazoo, Mi. and West - Portland ,Or.(?)

Ther are several large Trad shoots the Trad Nationals In Cloverdale, In. and the Compton shoot in Barren Springs , Mi. are huge. up to 2000 shooters on a 3 day weekend. Camping on site, food, seminars...Great fun.

At these shoots the top bowyers have booths and you can shot thier bows. AFTER, you get your form down and BEFORE you buy a hunting bow you'd do well to visit one of these events.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Sound advices Boss,

I committed the error : my first recurve was too light and too expensive.
My second was (and is) just perfect.

My third recurve is a pain in the a.... I flashed on it and bought without thinking. It's a very very light and short (but powerful 65#)recurve. Really handy for driven hunts.
Far too light , thus it is inevitably inflicting me a tennis elbow.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted Hide Post
Boss, Is that Berrien Springs MI? Home of RedBud and Royal valley ski area? I grew up in Laporte IN and we used to go up there for skiing in the winter and to watch the MX in summer.

Any big shoots in Vegas?
D

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:

Far too light , thus it is inevitably inflicting me a tennis elbow.

Take a little time off shooting and let your elbow tendon heal. When yopu come back start with a lighter bow as a warm-up. When your back to the 65# bow shot fewer arrows BETTER

You'll bennifit more from three good shots than an afternoon of marginal shooting. Tendinitis is a result of repeative stress.

Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for draw weight, it's helpfull if you can test different draw weights to see which one works best for you and your draw length.

I have a 30" draw, so I have 2" of overdraw. My PSE Impalla, which is rated at 45# @ 28", is 64# @ 30". My Martin Dream Catcher is 70# @ 28", and is 80# @ 30".

Each bow, due to construction, will gain a different amount of weight per inch of overdraw. The only way to know what "YOUR" actual draw weight will be, is to get your draw length, and test each bow on a draw weight scale.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cndrm: In my many years of shooting longbows and recurves, I have never heard of a bow stacking as your PSE does. Not that I question you, but almost 10 pounds per inch is inconceivable. Just out of curiosity, I wonder whether your brace height is too high to begin with causing you to have pre-loaded the limbs well beyond their expected weight. I would check your results with PSE and confirm the recommended brace height.