Login/Join

one of us
posted

Mike Beatty
10-15-06
232 lbs dressed
Ohio

Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That thing's scarey lookin! Amazing, really! Good going!

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome animal!!!

Congratulations.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a FINE buck!!

Nice work!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yea, he hunts in Greene County Ohio about 30 minutes from me. Lucky dog.

When I took my doe from Friday night to the butcher, there was another Ohio TOAD in the cooler. Looked kinda like this Beatty buck but taller tines, and a MASSive body, probably just as big.

Who says Ohio doesn't have big bucks!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I killed one that weighed 240 field dressed.

They are huge up here!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man what a brute! Congrats!, thats a very nice buck.

Life's Tough....God's Good....Pray Hard!

Posts: 40 | Location: NC | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
I killed one that weighed 240 field dressed.

They are huge up here!

with a bow?

I killed one in Illinois that weighed 240 as it fell. Kill zone looked big as a truck tire. Big Grin

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
No, that 240# buck was with a shotgun/slug at about 50 yards. I had seen him several times in bow season, but never in range and always in the dark. Gun season that year was in the peak of the rut, when he finally started moving in daylight.

I hunt very small farms around here - when I shot him 3 other hunters stepped into view to see what I got.

I know I posted a pic here on AR somewhere at the time, but now I can't find a single one.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
Mike, Congratulations !! That is a very fine buck. I'm envious. Best regards and good hunting,
Brad

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
No, that 240# buck was with a shotgun/slug at about 50 yards. I had seen him several times in bow season, but never in range and always in the dark. Gun season that year was in the peak of the rut, when he finally started moving in daylight.

I hunt very small farms around here - when I shot him 3 other hunters stepped into view to see what I got.

I know I posted a pic here on AR somewhere at the time, but now I can't find a single one.

I try to keep my pics arranged in photobucket so I can find them quickly but my files there have grown into volumes. Big Grin

anyway, here's some pics of my big one;

I've seen a couple as big as Mike's buck but couldn't close the deal. boohoo

See if you can find that pic. I'd like to see him. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
ncboman,

Nice one!

I have looked here at work pretty extensively and cannot find the pictures of the big one that got weighed. I have his horns on the wall in my office and the tag says 2000. Armed with that I will try to do a better search at home. But I think 2000 was the year I got divorced, and my wife took the computer, so I might be SOL.
I remember sending pics to my brothers, and will ask them to look also. I posted some on-line, but I was hosted at huntingpictures.net or summat that went belly up for a while. When it came back up my stuff was gone.

I took one big buck some years prior to the one in 2000 that was never weighed. He was estimated at 240 field dressed and looked as big as the one I weighed. The weighing was done on a farmer's scale and could easily be off by 5-10 pounds.

I did not get a digital camera until last year, so I may have a 35mm picture of him somewhere.

These Ohio deer are big-bodied and they are rolling in fat since they get all the soy beans and corn they can eat. That buck had an inch and a half of fat all over him, with maybe two inches of back-fat.

When I shot the big one the farmer took one look at him and said "you didn't get the big one". He maintains that he's shot bucks that field dress right at 300 pounds. That'd be about 375 on the hoof! I personally have not seen one bigger than the two big ones I shot.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic that doesn't do him justice, but it's the only digital image I can find. At this point he'd been hanging a week and was on the way to my house for cutting/wrapping. That's a full-size 1999 Suburban he's hanging out of. I'd stopped by at work to borrow a digital camera to take the pic. Canuck will confirm that I can't take pictures for $hit!

Again, this was a shotgun kill, and does not belong on this forum!

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I would like to show some of my Ohio bucks

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Some nice ones there!

Don_G