New
Find
Notify
Tools

DG with BOW...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are you think about this...www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4gN6FSsKag&feature=related

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I personally would claim that as a rifle kill...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Twang...Bang.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting questions are raised for sure. If the client had shot it with a rifle and been backed up by the ph the client would be claiming it as his kill. in the bowhunting world there is a real fascination with "the killing process" and we like to see how our equipment performs because of this we want the animal to die from the shot. hard to figure this one out .

the chef

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
There's a good post on a texas bow hunter
site right now about a member who just shot
a lioness with a bow... no gun killshot
after, just 4 arrows in her...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470CapstickA2:
There's a good post on a texas bow hunter
site right now about a member who just shot
a lioness with a bow... no gun killshot
after, just 4 arrows in her...

Why four arrows? I can understand possibly a second arrow as I've had to put another in to settle down an animal, but four????

That sounds to me like someone needs to spend more time at the target range...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
first shot was a little low....but in the chest at 40 yards, per Phs instruction(40 yds, not the low hit)

second was in the face, just under the eye, as the lion bunched up to charge, per PHs instruction.

third settled the affair, 25 yds just behind the shoulder

fourth was a finisher, standing over the lion...

no gun shots.

have YOU killed a lion with a stickbow????

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not four arrows? Things don't always go the way we'd like them to or the way it is in the books. Hell I've had to use 4 arrows on a grouse let alone a big cat.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. The proper response to the poorly phrased one is: "how many arrows did you put in your last African Lioness?".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not bad-mouthing anyone, just questioning why four arrows? And now I know...

I haven't had the opportunity to hunt any lions yet, especially with a bow. But it seems to me that four arrows is a bit excessive, especially on a lion.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shof,

because Lions eat people just like you and I every year in Africa. Sticking an arrow in an animal, as you know; is like stabbing them. A cat can live long enough with an arrow thru the heart to cover 50 yards (about 3 seconds, maybe a little less)slap you once with a paw full of meat hooks and leave you dead before she expires. The PH is going keep her from killing you or him or anybody else with his big double.
If you want a Lion 100% bow killed, you keep sticking arrows in her until you know she is dead. I have seen Lion video where they put that many rounds of 458 Win Mag in one before it agreed to be dead.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Shof,

because Lions eat people just like you and I every year in Africa. Sticking an arrow in an animal, as you know; is like stabbing them. A cat can live long enough with an arrow thru the heart to cover 50 yards (about 3 seconds, maybe a little less)slap you once with a paw full of meat hooks and leave you dead before she expires. The PH is going keep her from killing you or him or anybody else with his big double.
If you want a Lion 100% bow killed, you keep sticking arrows in her until you know she is dead. I have seen Lion video where they put that many rounds of 458 Win Mag in one before it agreed to be dead.

Rich

+ 1 tu2

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You who hunt with sticks and string need to check out Nampom's website. I believe this man knows what he is talking about. My wife looked at the accomodations and some of the "big city" tourist sites and told me to wait until SCI Reno next year and talk to the man before committing to a hunt elsewhere. We are talking about a woman whose idea of roughing it is a restaurant without a wine list.
It takes a dedicated bowhunter in Africa to quote Saxton Pope.

Rich
Matthews Monster 7.

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
You who hunt with sticks and string need to check out Nampom's website. I believe this man knows what he is talking about. My wife looked at the accomodations and some of the "big city" tourist sites and told me to wait until SCI Reno next year and talk to the man before committing to a hunt elsewhere. We are talking about a woman whose idea of roughing it is a restaurant without a wine list.
It takes a dedicated bowhunter in Africa to quote Saxton Pope.

Rich
Matthews Monster 7.

Thanks Rich for the kind words, yes Saxton Pope to me was a true hunter and his quote "The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" is what I as a bowhunter believe we should all aspire to achieve.

Glad you liked my website and if anyone has a question about bowhunting in Namibia they are more than welcome to give me a shout, I'll be more than happy to help

Roger

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote