New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditional bows ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I started plunking with them a couple years ago. Just wondering if any body here shoots them.

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mattyboy

I shot a 70# Schafer Silvertip recurve 64". I shoot instictive as well. Welcome to AR and good shooting.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 60# Black Widow PSAX. Nothing like a stickbow! I love it.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I bought an old Fred Bear 3 years ago. Since then my uncle started building them and they are pretty. I would like to shoot more than my time will allow.

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
62lb Howard Hill Tembo, and a couple of Cat Sticks, a local reflex/deflex longbows. 50 and 78lbs. Well made longbows and recurves are just fun to hold. They remind me of my wife, long and slender, but with curves in the right places. Come to think of it, so do Taylor acoustic guitars. I got a couple of them too.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot an acs longbow 53#@28 primarily and I have a pse impala recurve 50# @28. These are killing machines made for hunting and they do it nicely too. There is something so beautiful about the lines of a "real" bow, they are a pleasure to handle as well as shoot.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
trad enough? Big Grin

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
trad enough? Big Grin

Nice looking rig. Looks like it preforms to. archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a flint head. Do you knap?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
made the bow and the arras, heads included.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am favorably impressed with that! I am still in Knapping Kindergarden.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that we have so many trad lurkers in here. I'm also into braintanning anyone else do that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot an old browning wasp 55# recurve I haven't bow hunted in about 8 years and thought that I should start again. Hopefully with a little practice I'll be ready by next season.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of vintage Herters bows and a black mamba. I like playin with all of em. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Custom Great Plains Red River T.D. 55#
Snuffer 125

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a couple of traditional bows I built, one is an Osage self-bow with recurved tips 52@at 27" the other is a bamboo/maple longbow 51#@28" been using them for years. They work well if I "pick a spot"

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I shoot a little of everything..
Bob Sarrels one piece recurve
Black Widow 3pc recurve
Hoyt Maxxis wheel bow
Hoyt Ultratec wheel bow

under construction...
Zona 3pc longbow
Zone 3pc recurve

Taking my recurve to wisconsin for a nice deer this year though..

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
When I started bow hunting we had never heard of compound bows. They were around but not common in those days.

I got away from bow hunting for a long time because the places I hunted offered no extended season for archery.

Got back into it a few years ago because I was spending a couple winters in Indiana and I could walk out the backdoor and hunt. I've been having so much fun with it that I realized it will be a great sport to share with my daughter.

I did get a state of the art compound bow but I did'nt let go of my roots and I dug out my old recurves and long bow.

The little one in the middle is my daughters. She has her best friend into it now and her dad got her a bow for Christmas.

On the left is my old 70# red wing pro and the right is my old Indian archery 45#.

This was about 15 years agoand I need to get out and do more of it.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
6 Recurves Black Widow, Old Bears
3 Long bows Black Widow , Free Spirit, homemade
Been shooting traditional for 40 years. Draw wts. from 55 to 70#

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have four trad bows.My first was an all glass recurve with a plastic handle from Indian archery I got when I was 9 yrs old using my moms S&H green stamps.I still have it.Next came a Blackhawk Yellowjacket I got from a friend.This one is a reflex/deflex longbow with a recurve style handle.Next came a Martin Hunter recurve followed by a custom built Scorpion longbow from MR Hamilton.The Scorpion is by far my favorite.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Glad to see so much trad stuff here guys. Thought most of the fellas here were wheelie shooters. I like wheelies; it's just that compounds are like fishing with spinning rod and worms, whereas trad bows match the finesse of fly fishing ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trigger Steve
posted Hide Post
Yea I shoot a traditional bow. It is a martin recurve of about 52 pounds draw weight.

I shoot instinctive and have managed to bring down a variety of game including warthog and bushpig. some hunters I know have shot buffalo, lion and leopard with them. it is way more of a challenge than using a compound bow as one has to get that much closer and has to practise a lot more with the weapon. it is very rewarding once you bring down a animal with a traditional bow.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
AKshooter: Sure nice to see youngsters pulling the string. Hope your daughter stays with it all her life.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I bought a Thunderstick Mag last Nov. It's 48# at 28" but my draw is 29. I've been shooting it everyday for about the last month. Hope to break it in on some longbeards starting in about a month.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard Hill Big Five.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just started last year with the trad stuff
beats the crap out of more modern equipment
I bought a custom recurve
a Kohanah Kurve 60 # and 64 "

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've posted several pics of my Bud in South Texas on his ranch. He hunts his place 365 days a year. I will let him tell this story.

I walked about 3/4 mile to a stand that had as much pig potential as deer.. Nice evening to be in the woods.

Right before the feeder went off three does came in. When it started raining corn they took off but returned within a couple of minutes. They had only been eating a few minutes when they looked up and here came a six point and a spike. A little later they all looked up and a nice 115-120 inch 8 point came in.. When he got on the corn all but the six point left.. They hung around until it was just about dark then they threw their heads up and stared off into the woods. They stayed on high alert for a minute or so and then ran. In a short time this pig came into view and with some hesitation came into the corn. There was another pig off behind me that I never saw. This one stayed on the corn but was pretty spooky. I was anxious to shoot before he spooked which is all to common when the wind has died and the cool night air is settling.. So as soon as he turned broadside I drew and shot. It was so dark I couldn't see the where the arrow hit but I did hear it hit. He scalded out of there rattling the shaft on the brush he ran by. I watched him until he was out of sight, about 40 yards. I didn't think he ran too far as the noise stopped pretty quickly. However the woods opened up and he could have run a long ways without me hearing him.
I got down and eased through the woods in the direction he ran. At first there was no blood but he was running so fast I wasn't surprised. Then I started finding blood, a lot of it. From there on out it was a ''stand up'' blood trail that I walked along at a brisk pace. Not a big hog but a fairly nice boar pig, I'm sure he shaded 200 easily.. A&H ACS 66" that's 48# at my draw length. Abowyer Wapiti broadhead, penetration was about half the arrow length.. I suspect his muddy hide impeded penetration somewhat.. He ran 80 yards or so and was dead.

I hope you enjoy his story. I get one of these every day or so.
Butch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

want to get even? Post his Email address...

Very nice pig, by the way.

Rich