Find
Notify
Tools

Wouldn't you know it!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
Finally it was opening morning of deer archery season in Oklahoma. I had decided that since the weather wasn't very cool I wasn't going to shoot anything but a nice buck, but wouldn't you know up walked one of the biggest, fattest does I've ever seen and there she stood quartered away from at 17 yds. It was as though she were taunting me. So, I decided I'd take her--she'd make a lot of good meat for the freezer. She was hard to my left and I guess I canted the bow a little on the draw and also torqued the string a little and the arrow fell of my rest. I can usually push it back on with one of fingers on my hand that holds the bow, but the edge of a blade just tangled in my glove. I tilted the bow hard the opposite direction and the arrow came free but if fell hard on the rest, and the rest is history wouldn't you know it. I sat there disgusted as I could hear her running off and blowing. That is the second time an arrow has come of the rest and the last time. I went straight home and fixed that baby where it is nearly impossible for that to happen again. Well, I hadn't really wanted a doe anyway1

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I shot the first big brown thing that came my way. I happened to be an average sized Michigan doe-too many of the damn things around anyway.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red C

I've had the same problem in the past. Missed several hogs and deer because that. I installed a drop zone rest that captures the arrow and falls away when the arrow is released. Took care of the problem.
The other thing that causes me to miss opportunities to arrow game is when I come to full draw when an animal goes behind a bush or tree and gets hung up and I can't hold at full draw until they enter the kill zone. Bummer. Anyway, I recently lost two freezers of meat during a recent hurricane. I took the first doe that came in last Sunday morning. I only get one buck on this lease, so I'm waiting until later in the season.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote