Notify
Tools

Newbie question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted
Hi,

bow hunting is outlawed in Sweden but never the less... maybe one should know how to handle a bow anyway and since I hunt on private land and bows are very slient... No, I never said that. Of course not. Joking? Naturally. Wink

Well, nobody really owns bows around here but when I saw an ad from a guy who's selling his bow for a reasonable price, I think maybe I should see what this stick&string thing is all about.

You guys need to help me now, I've got nobody else to ask.

It's a "black widow 30lb recurve bow", complete with a number of arrows of for me unknown specs, weights/rods and other thingies that may come in handy (sheating, a number of strings etc). Price is (calculating.... thanks for waiting... finished now Wink ) the equivalent of USD 120.

Is this an OK price? And one more question? I'm handsomely tall. Is bow/archer fit a big issue in the bow shooting world? Guess it is. Is I just give it a try?

Write hard and clear about what hurts
-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
The fit of the bow to the archer (draw length) is probably the single most important thing to get right. Also, 30# sounds awfully light for a big man.

I know almost nothing else about "stick and string" bows - good luck!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
OK,

thanks! I'll pass on that one then. CRYBABY Maybe it was just too good to be true. Dang! While possibly a bargain, it is still too much for something I cannot use. Mad

Write hard and clear about what hurts
-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
30# is way too light. I'd recommend 50 or 55# as a minimum for a big guy for a starter bow.

Depending on your wingspan, the length of the bow could be important. I have a 30" draw length and use a 62" recurve...bows much shorter than that generally pinch my fingers too much which can be uncomfortable and cause "string plucking' (i.e. a bad release), especially if the draw weight is relatively high. (...as you can probably visualize, the shorter the bow, the sharper the string angle at your fingers when you are at full draw)

Black Widow bows have a good rep. If you can find a deal like that for a higher weight bow, you should go for it.

Here is Black Widow's suggested limb lengths for thier one piece recurves...
quote:
23" to 27" Draw - 56" Limbs
25" to 29" Draw - 58" Limbs
27" to 31" Draw - 60" Limbs
29" to 33" Draw - 62" Limbs

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a smoking deal on a BW bow!! The others are right though and 30 lbs is just too light. You might consider getting it for your wife if you have one, once you get them hooked on archery it's a lot easier to justify spending so much money on the sport Wink

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great price for a Black Widow. The other guys are right that it is light in poundage but if I were you, I would buy this bow. I hunt with a 100# compound today but I learnt to shoot and hunt birds with a 30# Hoyt Pro Expert Recurve.

When you are learning, you want to learn on lower poundage as form comes easier then with a recurve. Also, this bow is probably 30# @ 28 inch draw - if you are tall and big then your draw will be longer and the longer your draw, the more the poundage increases - you could be shooting this bow @ 35 - 40 pounds.

Black Widows have good resale value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Widows are great bows and like Soroko stated, they hold theor resale value. Even if you decide to obey the law and not hunt with it, you can still shoot it. Shooting my bow is 95% of the joy in owning it.

God Bless,

Corey

www.wwcj.com

Read your King James Bible every day!

Posts: 32 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada. | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
If I can butt in for a second, I"m in the same situation as HerrBerg as I"m in the UK and want to get into (compound)bow hunting.
If I get into it and can shoot well enough I would consider a trip to the US for deer or pigs.
My question has kind of been covered, relating to bow/draw length. Unlike HerrBerg, I"m a measly 5.6", so what kind of draw length should I be looking for? I like to think I"m as strong as the next guy, and I was hoping to buy a bow in the 70 lb draw range. What length of arrows? draw + 2"?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it"s kinda the same subject!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
If you do an internet search you may find a chart that relates wingspan to draw length. Wingspan is fingertip to fingertip facing a wall.

For hunting bows many suggest dropping back 1/2" from your maximum draw length.

It is risky buying a bow without "trying it on." You might consider getting one with draw length adjustable by "modules" which are cheaper to buy than entire new cams.

Arrow length will vary depending on the kind of rest you have and the amount of reflex in the bow. Safest to measure after you get the bow set up and adjusted to fit you.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some notes that hopefully will help:

70lb draw weight is "standard" for compound bows with significant letoff. Letoff means you only pull through the 70lbs, then hold the string with a lot less pull.

For recurves and longbows, a 45lb bow is a good starting weight to keep good form. A 45lb bow will shoot all the way through a deer. 30lbs is kind of light, but it is the legal minimum for deer here in Maryland. You'll use lighter arrows and get the same trajectory (roughly 9 grains of arrow weight per pound of pull).

For draw length, it's best to shoot, get a little tired, and be measured. But you can "draw" a yardstick or meterstick to measure yourself, failing any better way to do it. It's more critical with a compound bow, because a compound has a stop at the draw weight. The traditional bow is usually set up and measured for a 28" draw length (i.e. 50lbs at 28" draw), but you can pull it farther, within 4". It just will be harder to pull and may stack. Stacking is when a bow adds a consistent amount of weight to the pull per inch up to a limit, then adds a lot of weight per inch of pull for the last several inches. It's not "smooth".

Remember that a shooting release can be used to tune draw length.

Hope this helps. Look at OL Adcocks website at bowmaker.net. Great info.

Steve

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote