THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: I'm All Screwed Up......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: I'm All Screwed Up......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After years of shooting lousy with a bow I bought the book "Idiot Proof Archery" by Bernie Pelerite. I have read the book through three times over the past two years and shot over 15,000 arrows in that time, practicing what I was learning in the book. I wish I had learned to shoot correctly three decades ago. This year I took a buck at 42 yards, a bear at 10, and an elk at 33, all in a weeks time. Yes, lots of luck was involved, but I can hit what I shoot at. If you are interested his website is robinhoodvideos.com, and ads for the book can be found in bowhunting magazines. It certainly helped me.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt you have an injury. You're getting pains from the muscles being over worked. I've had a rotator cuff tear, and you can feel it when it happens. Two years ago I had a much more serious shoulder injury, and it was 3 months before I could do a single pushup.

You have to listen to your body. When it tells you that it's being overworked, you have to give it a few days. If it's muscle pain, I usually continue to work it because at my age muscle pain doesn't go away as fast. I've found that continuing to work the area at a reduced amount relieves muscle pain.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took it easy on the shoulder and the pain is completely gone now. I moved each of the limb adjustments one full turn to increase the weight to 40 lbs. It doesn't feel any different.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought the bow shooting was coming along pretty easy. Then i started developing this pain in the shoulder on my bow hand which is left one. The pain was forcing me to shoot less and so i did a search on "torn rotator cuff + bow."

Found an article about proper form: http://www.gandermountain.com/hunting/article.asp_Q_id_E_38

I've been doing everything wrong. Instead of pulling the string back, i've been pushing the bow forward with my left arm. That's probably because i'm left handed, but i'm right eye dominant and have to shoot right handed. Think i started out with correct form, but then just gradually got sloppy and didn't notice my form because i was so interested where the arrows hit.

So i'm laying off with the bow for a couple days and will work on form instead. I got a 3 lb weight and am practicing proper stance while extending it out with left hand then simulating drawing with my right hand. Also, practicing holding the weight loosely and relaxing the bow arm and hand completely.

Hopefully my ligaments will be more cooperative now that i quit abusing them.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always pulled the same as you and additionally "rolled my shoulders". I should be useing a 28 inch draw but have always used 30. With the new Mathews set to 28 I find that I no longer am able to roll my shoulders and am forced to use better form. Yup, it hurts,we are training new muscles and it is bound too. Just don't overdo it. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote