THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Looking for feedback on Barnett Crossbows

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for feedback on Barnett Crossbows
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted
Gentlemen,

I am in the market for a crossbow and seeking feedback on Barnett crossbows. Cabelas and Dick's Sporting Goods always have good deals on Barnett packages. Are they junk?
I am just looking for something to shoot at the range when the gun lanes are full; also would like to bring it on a rifle safari and spend an afternoon or two in a blind with it.

Posts: 55 | Location: Easton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 28 November 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Open Carry:
Gentlemen,

I am in the market for a crossbow and seeking feedback on Barnett crossbows. Cabelas and Dick's Sporting Goods always have good deals on Barnett packages. Are they junk?
I am just looking for something to shoot at the range when the gun lanes are full; also would like to bring it on a rifle safari and spend an afternoon or two in a blind with it.

I've had one for 4-5 years. I wouldn't say it's junk. It's accurate and I've never had any problems with it. I don't shoot it a ton though. Probably ~100 times a year.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the more expensive ones, but my Jackal was junk. After the first six bolts through it, the string broke even with all instructions properly followed. The string breaking caused one of the cams to also break. It went back to Barnett and they replaced the entire top end. I got it back and the third bolt through it and the trigger reset quit. It would release the bolt (shoot) when you took the safety off.

I went to PSE and have never had an issue.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

I went to my local Dick's Sporting Goods and had a conversation with the employee manning the gun desk. The employees working in the hunting/guns section of this store actually do a lot of hunting and shooting, which seems uncommon in the world of big box retail. I was told that a lot of Barnett crossbows come back with broken limbs. He did say that most guys are satisfied with them if they do not use it much, but he suggested I spend a little more money and get a Ten Point. This guy actually bought a Parker crossbow at a local archery shop and said he is very happy using it on whitetails.

The price tag on a Ten Point is more than I want to spend for something I may not use much, but I will try to find a used one.

Posts: 55 | Location: Easton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 28 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Excalibur line of crossbows. They're recurves so a much easier bow to maintain. I've had mine for 10 years and never had a problem. Very accurate and being a recurve you can do all your own maintenance. No need for a bow press.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skip Barnett crossbows, at least their lower end price wise...too many issues. If you go with Excalibur go to a micro model otherwise you will be hung up in brush if you hunt with it. Look into Pse, ten point expect to pay over $700 just for the bow itself to get anything above mediocre.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Excalibur is a winner. My only concern is the width. I will get to a bow shop to handle one so I can get a feel for it.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Open Carry:
It sounds like Excalibur is a winner. My only concern is the width. I will get to a bow shop to handle one so I can get a feel for it.

I don't think you will go wrong with Excalibur Crossbows. The ease of maintaining them will impress you. You will be able to go shorter width in a cam model but, if something goes wrong you will need a bow press. With the design of the recurve limbs of Excalibur there is no bow press needed. Their customer service has been really good too.

Took the crossbows to RSA in 2014. The string on my wife's snapped during practice one morning. My PH was totally amazed at how simple and easy it was to replace the string (he had a Ten Point). He said "if it happen to a cam bow we be on our way to the bow shop right now."

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Barnett last year, got a little more serious with it this year and numbered my arrows, had a few that were consistent, and took a nice meat buck so far this year. I think mine was in the ~$250 range. What I like about it is the compactness. And I had a Wicked Ridge that was woefully inconsistent, though it may have been a bolt issue. Number those bolts!

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my son had a barnett recruit, sting broke about 3 seperate times

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good thread. I lived most of my life in a state (Oregon) where crossbows are outlawed for most hunting, and never seriously considered them. Now I am in New Mexico, with a more enlightened game and fish department and where they are legal.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Barnett Penetrator very accurate with practice tips haven’t found the right combination of bolt and broadhead yet.
It wont shoot fixed blades at all,
Now the string breaking on number 3
My bow is at Barnett now Cams bent and limb cracked.
I would not buy A Barnett again. Less than 35 bolts fired.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Joe, I recently found a used Kodabow Zulu Scout at a good price. Should have it next week. This small company is run by a retired Navy commander in Pennsylvania and offers highly dependable products and great customer service.

http://kodabow.com/index.php

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote