New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelling With a Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could people let me know what restrictions exist regarding taking a bow and arrows into various countries?

Thanks in advance.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would really appreciate a few posts on this thread!

I am in Washington D.C. at the moment and purchased my first compound bow at a Bass Pro shop. The clerk suggested that I must declare it as a weapon to the TSA people on my way out of the country. Can anyone expand on this?
I can understand it being in a locked case etc, but does it really get treated as a firearm?
Regards,
Gabe

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
There are two active threads running on travel though UK and Amsterdam with bows right now. In both threads the gist appears to be that nobody really knows the rules - even the customs agents!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Don,
I was wondering about the rules when leaving the US? I go to Canada,then return to Europe.
I am certain that taking a bow into the UK should be fine....hopefully I didn't just jinx myself!
I will let you guys know as I am going home in a week or so.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Bog,

Just remember when entering Canada they consider a bow a weapon, so you must declare it on the arrival form if you fly in. No surprises then.

I thought by weapons they meant guns, so I said "NO", then a real grilling ensued when they saw my bow. No problem other than a chewing out.

At the border in a car just tell them verbally you have a bow and you are good to go. Don't know about jolly old England as there seems to be a question about broadheads right now.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bow is considered a weapon only under our Provincial hunting regulations. They aren't mentioned anywhere else. Not telling our Customs types about your bow scared them.
Telling the assorted Customs types you have it wil lallay their fears. It's unlikely that you'll be able to carry it on the aircraft and will have to check your bow. Carrying it in a solid locked case will help protect the bow from the baggage monkeys. 'Fragile' is latin for throw this.

Spelling and grammar count.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
I've found travelling with a bow no problem what so ever in the countries i've taken it to as far. USA is a breeze to travel to with the bow, no restrictions from NZ. Aussie, which is quite specific on rifles only wishes that you declare what you have in your case, no paper work required. South Africa is also simple, indeed the custom people almost seemed disappointed that it was only a bow! NZ is also very simple, no paper work.
To date I have not looked at Europe or EU countries.
The ease of movement over borders is just another advantage of hunting with the bow.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Latest word on my saga in transiting the Netherlands with a hunting bow:

On my rifle license (in English) it says:
" For a bow you don't need a transitlicense, only the arrows might be a problem because the transit of normal arrows is also no problem, but if they have cutting edges it is forbiden to transport them through the Netherlands."

I reckon my broadheads are gonna be with my ammo in the checked luggage.

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Broadheads are not stopped at customs and neither are any of the other bowhunting paraphanalia. In order for the british bowhunter to practice he must do so with broadheads and so he must get them sent over here. That is not illegal because the bowhunter is using them for practice in a training for a planned bowhunt in a country where it is legal. There are many bowhunters in the uk. It is an amazing sport and shooting a bow is so much better than a gun and alot harder too, its not as simple as picking a bow up and away you go....every arrow has to be tuned and the bow, itself, is a presise peice of kit. Many just do not understand the complexity of bowhunting, indeed, of any archery............. I strongly recommend the Gary Bogner series of DVDs...all manner of quarry being taken...Rhino, elephant, buffs, lion, hippo...loads of others...."

"Amen for a sensible answer I work at Heathrow airport(sometimes) and trust me,broadheads are NOT illegal to own or import into the UK,also my local Archery Range Quicks stocks broadheads I see them whenever I pop into the shop to use their outdoor range"

2 Posts taken from predominantly British hunting forums. (www.thehuntinglife.com)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
I can see that broad heads might raise a few hackles if you tried to take them in carry on. I mean good grief Charlie Brown now you can not even take you moose in the cabin with you. What's a guy to do? Next thing, we will all have to travel NAKED. From the pictures posted here on I am not looking forward to that.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?