Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to post image

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I got him Sunday the 7th at 7:26 A.M. I was sitting in my stand and heard a deer come into the tree belt out of the corn field. Later I heard somthing breaking tree branches. It was about 20 minutes after I first heard it come out of the corn that I heard him start coming toward me. I saw him come into view and into some tall grass. For some reason, I didn't think it was a very big deer. As it got closer, I realized it was big enough and I was going to shoot if I got a chance. That is when the buck fever hit. It had to come towards me a little bit then it turned up the trail to come by my stand. I knew I was going to get a chance. Then I saw how high the rack was. I was shaking when I pulled the bow. I was sure he would hear me. He walked up the trail and stopped right in my shooting lane. I released and the arrow zipped through. I was sure the shot was perfect. He ran 30 yds up the trial and stopped. I watched him for 3-4 minutes. I wondered why he didn't fall over. Eventually his head got lower and then he got wobbly and fell over. After I calmed down a bit, I got down and retrieved the arrow. He was still alive when I approached so I shot him again with the same arrow. He died almost instantly. During field dressing I discovered that I hit him in the liver. I have a picture in my mind of struggling to see through my peep at the shot. Maybe I didn't get all the way back to the right anchor point or maybe I was so excited I torqued the bow. It turned out OK though. This is the second deer I have shot on the 15 acre property that I live on in three years. The first was with a rifle. It is the biggest I have ever gotten. As a reference, I am 6'6. The arrow in the picture is 34" long if I remember correctly. The tines on the right are about a foot long. It is about 15" inside to inside. It felt like I was dragging a horse, luckily I only had to drag him about 60 yards.
Of course, I plan to have it mounted.

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story and great buck.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote