THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Scent-A-Way Products....my take

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Scent-A-Way Products....my take
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Plinker,

Most of these products are a waste of money.

Get yourself one of the aluminum crystal-type deodorant rocks from a health food shop. Sometimes you can find them at the drug store. They are odorless and kill the bacteria that causes odor. Next, get an industrial size box of baking soda. That's your "detergent", shower soap and toothpaste for hunting outings.

Wash your hunting clothes cold, with baking soda, turned inside out and let them line dry. Keep them outside, but out of the sun. You want all human and unnatural smells to dissipate. I've built a special attachment on the side of the house. It's basically just a shingled roof to keep the sun, rain and snow off of the gear. All of my gear stays outside from September to February and so does a plastic rubbermaid container to keep things scent free.

Shower with the baking soda, use the aluminum crystal afterward, and throw on some in-transit garb that has also been washed without detergent. All of the gear from outside goes into the rubbermaid container. Once you get to where you're going, the rubbermaid gear comes out, you do a quick freeze-your-butt-off roadside change and then spray down with an odor killing spray.

The pump spray is about the only scent eliminating product that I'd buy, and I always buy mine after hunting season when it's marked down considerably to move it.

If you start doing this, your gear will pick up a very identifiable and fresh outside smell, and you'll quickly notice clothes that are off just like deer do.

You won't entirely fool the nose of a deer, but you'll be surprised at the difference as far as how close you'll get to them, provided you don't use tobacco or have coffee breath.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote