THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Range report on Bow Tech Guardian

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range report on Bow Tech Guardian
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
well folks I now have over 700 arrows thru my Newest toy and I am loveing it big time. My new hunting rig is a 2007 Bow Tech Guardian the specks on it are 29.5" draw and 61 lbs peak waight I am shooting a CX Maxama 250 cut to 27.75" and have NAP Speed Hunter Quick Spins my rest of choice is a Vapor Trail Limb Driver Pro, the arrow waighs in at 315gr. Did some testing with other arrows to and here are some speed specks

275gr Arrow 325 fps Speed Pro Max
305gr Arrow 307 fps
315gr Arrow 302 fps
334gr Arrow 296 fps
360gr Arrow 288 fps
380gr Arrow 280 fps

I am planing on trying some hevyer stuff too 400gr and 420gr arrows. My best shooting arrow seems to be a CX Maxama 250 with Quick Spins and a 75gr tip. at 20 yards I am smaking arrows and braking nocks riping vanes this is pritty much the same out to 45 yards and then they open up a bit but I still have some very tight groups at 60 yards 6 shot arrow group in a sub 2.0". this bow is unbelivebly quite and vibartion free. It is so quite that I was douting the # for speed I have never had a 300+fps bow be this quite it did not matter if it wasa 315gr arrow or my Speed Pro Max 275gr.

I will try and get some more speed specks up and some pics as well..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the info.

Light and fast for 3D - heavier for more momentum when you are hunting, remember that.

Should you not be shooting at least 5g per pound to be on the safe side of those bows limb specs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
with the Center Pivet desine you are using more Effiency of the limb 88-90% verses the 80-83% witha a traditonal style compound bow, so you are not losing it in the limb,string and the riser making it a smoother bow, When I was out at bow tech they said it would handle lighter arrows better than a tradital style compound.

BUT I am not shooting Speed Pros Max arrows alot maybe 4-8 shots Just for speed testing. on top of that a Speed Pro Max is not a what you would call a "Under Spined Arrow" it is not like a Traditional Carbon they are Thiner walled but alot stiffer.
The ones I have are 6.2gr per inch and have a Spine defletion of .231 when cut down to 27.75" whare if you took a CX 100 that has a 6.2gr per inch as well the Spine Deflection is like .580-.615 so it is a weeker arrow and when you let go of that string at full draw the stiffer arrow is going to beabe to take the engey of the bow better that the weeker one becose it is going to be Flexing more and loseing energy by all the flex it has to make from the Force of the bow.
And as far as shooting a light arrow the only one that would not fall in to the IBO abbroved arrow is the Speed Pro Max here are my arrows waights to lbs I am shooting

275gr 4.5grs per pound
305gr 5.0grs per pound
315gr 5.2grs per pound
334gr 5.5grs per pound
360gr 5.9grs per pound
380gr 6.2grs per pound

with a 61 lbs bow at 5 gr per pound that comes up to 305gr arrow is IBO waight for my bow.

as far as the Speed Pro Max arrows go I dont recomed thes arrows for people shooting higher lbs 70+.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot some diffrant arrows with my bow today and have some new speeds to post

393gr Arrow 275fps and 6.4grs per pound
413gr Arrow 265fps and 6.8grs per pound

the 393gr arrow was a very nice grouping arrow that flew like a dart it was a Gold Tip 55/75 Pro Hunter cut to 28" with NAP Speed Hunter Quickspins and a 125gr tip wich gives me 66ftlbs of KE....

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
This is some interesting data. Thanks for posting it.

It appears your Kinetic Energy peaks at the 380gr arrow. This is also the point where increases in arrow weight appear to give you the least increase in momentum.

I'm not surprised you are liking the GT55/75s with 125 heads. That seems like a good fit to me. IMO, the 100gr heads are very often too light to get good downrange flight with a carbon.

I'd be interested if you put some Blazers on the 55/75 shaft and got some data with the same 125gr head.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The arrow I plan on hunting with is a Easton Axis 500 cut to 27.75" with Quick Spin Speed Hunters and a 75gr Muzzy I set one arrow up like this and it waighd in at 361gr and still getting 288fps and at 40 yards they are in a 2" group with the broad heads, I finly found a use for the 1 dozen Muzzy 75s I have.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you planning to hunt?
I personally think that 361 grains is to light for hunting. Are you not placing to much emphasise on speed? (Not being critical, being helpful.) My opinion is that you are going to lack penetration on live game - I would up the arrow weight and sacrifice some speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soroko, I will be hunting in Minnesota for White tail deer and with 288fps with a 361gr arrow I will be getting 66.5 FTLBS of KE and I know that is plenty for Whitails in MN I have taken deer with 28 FTLBS in this state with my 45lbs recurve....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply - good luck on those whitetails. I guess I have always been one who leans towards the heavier bow and heavier arrows. (I shoot a 82 # to 100# Tribute with 660 grain arrows.)

I have been looking at the Guardian as I have shot one and it is super quite and really quick. I dont like its length though and also, I do not change bows very easily at all - I take a lot of convincing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that 82#-100# is not requierd here but If iwas hunting in Africa I would be shooting 85lbs for sure, the minnesota whitail is not that tough.........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 70# bow is more than enough for African game up to and including Eland (the largest of our antelope) I shoot mechanicals with big cutting diameters - Rockets and Spitfires - I like the blood trails from them and the stopping power of the heavier bow but am the first to admit that mostly I am overbowed for what I hunt.

Be sure to post a pic of your first kill with the Guardian and happy hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
If you want to see how your bowtech stacks up against the rest of the best -- check this link out:
http://www.archeryhistory.com/techevaluation/2007Face-O...ults_ArcheryTalk.pdf

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 924 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is cool what they did but I still would not give up my Bow Tech Guardian, I love this bow.... I am going to try and print that out and show that to some people it is realy cool that they did that it realy shows the ins and outs but it still hase to come down to what a person wants to buy.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Not sure, based on the report, why you would give up your Bowtech Guardian-------------it won!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 924 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes it did, And that is why i wont want to give it up Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No matter what people say at the shop Bow tech Won