New
Find
Notify
Tools

O W replacement hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a little wind and rain here a couple of weeks ago. A little storm called "Ike". I was 600 miles away in Amarillo Texas for my daughter's wedding when it hit and could not get back for a week. Consequently I lost two freezers of venison and pork. So I took the opportunity to go to my lease opening weekend of bow season to see if I couldn't rustle up some more venison. Took this doe Sunday AM about 8:45. Nailed her at 23 paces. Dropped her off at my favorite processor. Should have about 50# of jalapeno cheese smoked venison sausage in about three weeks.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
nice doe, what bow did you nail her with ? looks like a mathews fx from here ? wat you do with all of the rotten meat ?

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good eye there Stu, it is indeed a matthews fx. As to the meat. I did not open the freezers till the day after the electricity came on. I am giving the meat which has refrozen to my taxidermist. He has a number of big dogs that he feeds it to. Hate to waste meat, even when I don't get to eat it.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice going -- and good shooting! The doe seems to be in very good shape considering the drought that much of the state has endured.

Here, we are 14.9 inches below the annual average rainfall for this time of year.

As to Ike, sorry to hear about losing all the meat and other goodies in the freezers/refrigerators. Did you guys have any other damage?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9318 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
We were very lucky. My daughter got married in Amarillo on the same friday night the hurricane hit. I had boarded up and left on thursday the day before. Didn't come back for a week. Spent hurricane week hiking palo duro canyon. figured if I could't come back or hunt I might as well enjoy the outdoors somehow. The weather and the canyon was beautiful.
I jokingly say the worst thing that happened was that I had to reschedule an early season bugle hunt for elk in Montana that was supposed to happen between October 21 and the 27th of September. Luckily the outfitter agreed to reschedule the hunt.
As to damage, we were very blessed. Lost a side fence, four pieces of ridge row, a porch light fixture and a pane of glass. Had minor water damage from water blown in two front windows on sheetrock. My rental propeties fared well having only minor damage on two homes. I worked my but off last week so I could hunt opening weekend.
Hope you have a great season. I'm sure you'll be posting. Look forward to seeing pix and posts.
GWB