Find
Notify
Tools

Re: tree stand
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Migra,

I use a Chippewa Wedge Lock hang on stand for all my hunting purposes here in Michigan. The platform is huge and the stand is about as quiet and sturdy as they come.
The advantage of the wedge lock is that you install the special chain bracket on the tree first. After the chain goes onto the trunk of the tree, just wedge the stand into the chain bracket for a rock solid platform. It sure beats trying to hold a stand up against the tree and attach the chain or strap at the same time.

Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked a lot a couple of years ago and decided on a Summit treestand. Quiet,strong, stable, easy to climb with, easy to get around the tree in the dark.

They make several models (all named after snakes). If you think you might ever use one with a rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader/pistol, you might get one of the models with the adjustable gun rest.

Note that stability is relative. I'm still scared on skinny trees in high winds if I climb too high.

Steve

Posts: 1721 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Summit Viper and would recommend it to anyone. Mine is an older model and has worked great but their new design looks even better! I have and have used ladder stands, hang-on stands (w/steps) and pre-constructed stands and the Summit Viper climber is my hands-down favorite. It allows me to be much, much more mobile in response to game patterns. Good luck!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote