Notify
Tools

string or metal loop
 Login/Join

posted
Wich do you use and why? TVC15

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried a metal one, but would be concerned about noise when hunting.
Was a finger shooter for 30 years. Changed to a release with string loop two years ago and love it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tcv15

A stiff type of loop, if not drawn perfectly can add an element of torque to your bow. String allows for more error on our part.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Metal loops can wear out a release FAST!

They also very often have a nasty habit of hitting something else on the bow after the shot. You can often hear evidence of this and see it on bows shot by the folks who "swear" by them.

I will stick with a string loop and not feel deprived.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
string loop is all I use Lighter and dont where out your serving as fast and easer to resetup, the metal ones are hevy and whare down your serving fast and can slide over time...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Big Guy hit the nail on the head. The metal loop allows for more ease of peep alignment etc but I have seen it do serious damage to release jaws as well as to string/bow risers that it comes into contact with when the string reaches its furthermost forward point of thrust. It is also noisy - metal on metal.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like I need to switch, although I have not encountered any problems.
Do you buy the string and tie them yourselves? I see several on e bay 3-4 dollars for a 3ft pc. TVC15

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about using no loop and using a gator jaw or some other two point release? best-o-luck

Posts: 265 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The string loop is pretty easy to tie and he material is very cheap - you should always carry a spare piece with you as repair is very easy in the field as well. I have not changed my knocking loop on my Bowtech in a year.

A tip - once you have your knocking point idnetified, take the measurement to this point from the serving as this makes for easy future reference.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The string is the way to go, easier on your equip. and will not make you lose quite as much speed.

quote:
Do you buy the string and tie them yourselves?

Yep, A local guy here sales it for $1 a foot. I usually get about 1 loop per 6" after I cut off the excess and burn the ends. Remember burning the ends is very important, you want to build up some molten material and flatten it quickly with a flat piece of steel(side of a knife works well). That keeps the knot from slipping loose. Heck, I'm paranoid about the knots slipping while hunting so I check them often and sometimes even add alittle super glue on the knots to prevent slipping. I've never had one let go yet but, I've talked to folks that have(improper installations).

Another thing on loops is be sure you get the thick stiff type of string. The little strings you buy at Bass Pro or Wally world are usually trash, they are too thin, hurt your string and wear out quickly.

Remember the loop stretches so, tie it shorter than you want it.

Good Luck,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote