THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    fingers or trigger release aid?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fingers or trigger release aid?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just getting back into bow hunting. I only hunted deer in 1993. At the time I used a trigger release aid but I am thinking about going back to just using finger release. I plan to hunt elk this fall on foot (no tree stand). I envision the trigger release aid to be a major pain in the butt. In the way when trying to use my binocular and rangefinder and calls, not to mention the potential for clanking on the bow. What do you elk hunters use? Fingers or Trigger? If trigger how do you manage the trigger so it is not a noisy nuisance? What are the advantages of the trigger? Just more accuracy? I think I heard that one tends to get a bit higher speed also with a trigger. Thanks, Bruin

Posts: 33 | Location: Walla Walla, WA | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just get a handheld release instead of one that straps to your wrist.

Then, you can just keep it in your pocket until it's time to shoot.

I've tried fingers a couple of times and found it to be inaccurate for me.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Once I went to a trigger I never looked back. I can hold the draw longer with more comfort and get better accuracy as well. I have the wrist strap kind and it swivels out of the way when using calls.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I went to release shooting in 1990. I will never shoot fingers again unless I buy a recurve, and I don't see that happening in the next 100 years.

You can buy a release that does not strap onto your wrist. I see hunter that leave them hooked onto the nocking loop all the time. You have to improvise. I've never had a problem with elk hunting and using my Scott release at all.

If you wrap soft camo cloth over any elk bugle call, you shouldn't have a clanking problem.

Good luck with whichever method you choose. And FWIW, I was shooting at the range before my bear hunt last month and a cocky guy was shooting fingers and claiming to be a "superior shot" than us guys using a release. He did shoot real good too. But it was my first time shooting my bow since Dec.

I made him eat his words with my first group. And I never said a word. Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruin,

If you use a long bow or an old fashioned wheel cam bow fingers will do fine. But, if you shoot a modern speed cam bow there is no question that a release is THE ONLY WAY TO GO!
By speed I mean anything over 250 fps arrow speed. Releases will make you much more consistent with any bow.

Good Hunting, Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
The best thing about shooting with your fingers is you never leave your release in camp.

If you go to a hand held release take TWO on your trip...that way your covered when you lose one. Wink

Good Luck on your hunt.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I think I will go to a handheld release and get two in case I drop or lose one. Bruin.

Posts: 33 | Location: Walla Walla, WA | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used fingers for a long time; I tried a release for awhile with some problems. In cold weather I've had the release freeze up and would not work. I've found releases twice in the woods, so they didn't work for someone(one was a buddy's who didn't realize he had lost it). Another time I just got 15 feet up a tree and dropped mine.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you go to a hand held release take TWO on your trip...that way your covered when you lose one.

10-4 on that one.

There nothing worse than loosing or forgeting a release. I've been lucky not to loose one but, I have made one trek down through the woods, climbed high in an Oak, got good and settled and relized the release was still in the truck.

Notice I said it happened one time. Knock on wood.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!! take 2 releases!! Boy, how did I forget that advice.

Take it from someone who has LOST or forgotten one on a trip!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you want to go the traditional route I don't see why you would shoot fingers. You can use a shorter bow with a release without having to worry about finger pinch. You don't have to spend hours and hours learning to release correctly only to have it all fall apart at the moment of truth.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
I have made one trek down through the woods, climbed high in an Oak, got good and settled and relized the release was still in the truck.

I did sort of the same thing once, only it was the old "Flipper" rest that was missing on my bow when the sun came up. Apparently it had torn off in some brush along the way.

I just enjoyed a morning in the tree, with my bow hanging (no need to even THINK about trying to shoot).

Luckily Razzer, I didn't see a single deer that day...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's precisely why I chose to shoot a bare recurve. I don't want to fiddle with sights, lose parts and pieces, or have to adjust my bow or sights. All I want to do is shoot my bow have fun and hunt. Unlike some traditional shooters I'd concede that a wheel bow with sights has faster arrows and is more accurate, but I just don't want the hassles. I can shoot accurately out to 25 yards from any position so I'm quite happy with that, I can but won't shoot out to 40 yards.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Chef - That's exactly wht I sold my last compound bow 9 years ago. I've hunted with recurves ever since.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me nuts!

But I would never hunt with a release. It is just not for me. There is just something about using fingers that gives me more 'connectedness'. I don't think that is a word but you know what I mean.

I agree there are alot of good reasons to use a release like speed, shorter bow, quicker learning curve and accuracy. Practice both ways decide what you like the best and go hunting.

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boss, I'm glad to have the company. There's not enough of us bare bow shooters!!! I just love the feel of my shots, I agree with the 'connectedness' thingy.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chef & Boss-

I agree.

That's why I started my "quest" for a good recurve a little while back.

I grew up shooting a recurve, then moved over to the compound. I still shot my compounds with fingers & no sights, as I just couldn't get comfortable with a sight, and never liked a release. After the Flipper incident above, I went to a Springy rest (the coil of wire attached by a small allen bolt, MUCH more secure than the stick-on Flipper). I stayed with feathers over vanes, as they shot better for me.

Anyway, I've come back around, and am wanting to start hunting with a recurve again.

I'm looking forward to it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold bore, welcome home from the "dark side"!!! No more training wheels for you, you've come full circle.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am recovering from cancer and surgery to remove it. So being laid up for months in ICU then home lost a lot of body weight and strength. I have purchased a 30# takedown and have been using it and bowflex machine to regain again. My concern is where I bought the bow salesman told me never to use a release with a recurve. True??? Why???

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot with fingers for about 20 years and then switched to a strap on release. In my case, there is no comparison accuracy wise.
I have three of the same release. One on my wrist, one in my pack and one in my bow case. I have not lost one, yet.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're stalking Elk on the ground, shots may get a bit long. A mechanical release will provide much better accuracy, particularly over longer ranges.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote