THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    2 more Does down and in the cooler

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 more Does down and in the cooler
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Went hunting tonight. Always a good hunt after a day and a half of rainy weather like we just had.

Got on stand at 441pm. Saw first SMALL deer at 446pm. Must have been on its way by my area, but the ground was wet and quiet so I didn't make much noise getting on stand.

At 630pm, the action began. No bucks tonight except for buttons. Had 9 deer feeding on acorns all around me. 4 were BIG mature Does, so I killed 2.

Shot the first one, watched all the others scatter. Got down, tagged it as it didn't go far with the Thunderhead hole in it. Got back in stand, knocked another arrow and sat down.

There is a LOT of good ground cover where I am and it wasn't 20 minutes when 1 big Doe and 2 buttons came back from different directions.

The second Doe walked right by my stand at 7 yards. Looked right up at me and bolted about 10, that is when I drew my bow. She was quartering away, then took one step to look at me again but it was too late. This time the arrow was topped off with a Rocket 125 expandable that blew right through her. She only made it 30 yards, walked in a couple of circles and fell.

That second Doe fell at 7pm.

I drug them both to a place about 100 yards from my stand to gut them. Boy did I get sweaty.

Now I have to go buy more tags tomorrow during lunch! One of these Does will be going to my MIL in Arkansas via a friend here that is leaving in a week to go see her.

The other will be made into 30 pounds of breakfast sausage, steaks, and the rest ground.

Having a good year so far: 4 Does with a bow, one came from KY. ML season is there this coming weekend. And 2 antelope from WY.

Dang, I need to get some more arrows too, crap, add that to the list.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Dang, I need to get some more arrows too, crap, add that to the list.

In by best Jewish Uncle voice: "Such a problem I should have!"

If you need some more does thinned off the place, just let me know!
jumping

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, but you'll have to talk to my brother about that one!! He said to save some for him. Big Grin

It is in Indian Hill, and you have to go through the paperwork through the Rangers, your county Sheriff dept., etc.

But, I'm working on another place for next year! If I can retain it, you are more than welcome.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to get my foot in the door at Indian Hill since I got here ten years ago, to no avail.

I promise to take only does, if that's what it takes!

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:

I promise to take only does, if that's what it takes!

Confused Absolutely not. I'm not a greedy hunter. If I get you in Indian Hill and you see a buck you want, you better shoot!

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Hey, Doc, deer are lunch as far as I'm concerned. I shoot does by preference if they are plentiful.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well let's see...Since Sept 30, I've hunted in Ohio about 6 times (meaning 2 hunts in 1 day, a.m. and p.m.) and I've seen about 38 deer.

Many are the same deer from the same stands but I really think that the Does are VERY PLENTIFUL.

I just received an email from officer Perdue of the Indian Hill rangers and the hunters have already taken 116 deer as of the 15th!

This is good since the program is designed on numbers taken. I remember 2 years ago that only 146 deer had been killed by late November. We were all nervous that they'd shut down the hunting and bring in the snipers. That was their plan anyway.

This year they have a new rule, you HAVE to take a Doe or you will NOT hunt Indian Hill again, no tolerance. Glad I'm in the clear since I've taken 3!

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'm on the waiting list for a place where you have to take 4 does before you can shoot a buck! Smiler

My kind of outfit! jumping

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
I'm on the waiting list for a place where you have to take 4 does before you can shoot a buck! Smiler

My kind of outfit! jumping

where's this?

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Doc,

It's here in the urban area. I've asked permission to tell you about it, but it may take a few days to get an answer.

Don_G