THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Need bow recommendation for 9 year old

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need bow recommendation for 9 year old
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got 4 kids,

About 4 years ago I got my oldest boy, now 15, a Browning Micro Midas II. Its advantage was that it had significant draw length adjustability and a low entry draw weight, adjustable up to over the legal minimum. When he outgrew it, I sent the bow to Browning and for $15 they forklift upgraded the bow to the longer drawlength version. Great bow.

Two years ago my younger son (now 10) wanted to shoot. I got him a Genesis bow, by Matthews. It's a sophisticated bow that'll really grow. I can even shoot it. It's a compound, but with no predetermined draw length. It adjusts down to around 15 lbs of draw weight while still really throwing the arrow out there with some authority.

I think the high end of the draw weight was below the 30 lb draw weight minimum, though.

Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I agree. I taught in a middle school in 2002 that was part of the Archery in Kentucky Schools Pilot Program (Now the National Archery in the Schools Program). Roughly 40-50 adults became NFAA field instructors shooting the Genesis bow. I found it really enjoyable. When I taught the class to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students, my own son who was 5 years old at the time shot with us after school. It will be fun for nearly everyone who picks it up. Your friend may even take a spark to archery!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote