Find
Notify
Tools

Arrow diameter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted
I think that a slim arrow has a better penetration than a conventional one.

Unfortunately, most arrowmakers don’t indicate the diameter (inner and outer )of their carbon shaft.

Will You post the inner and outer diameter of the carbon arrows that You are using. Thanks.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that a proper broadhead cuts MUCH larger a hole then the arrow shaft needs to go through. Of course if you use one of those little bitty wrong size broadheads with a fat shaft, you will lose a little penetration. Arrow weight has a much larger effect on penetration.
I shot one deer with one of those little Iron heads, penetration was poor and the deer went three times farther then I am used to. This was a perfect quartering shot into the rear of the ribcage with an 83# bow and a 30" 2419 shaft. I save those heads for rabbits now.
Why a big push to small heads is so popular baffles me. You need cutting diameter and blade length to match, not an ice pick.
A large enough head will allow a 2X4 to go through the hole!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter

I am using slim shafts to improve the penetration but I fully agree with You that's the broadhead makes all the preliminary work. And You know the french are fussy about preliminaries Wink
I am firm believer on serious no-nonsense 2 blades BH. Either the razorhead or a Zwickey or Magnus 2 blades BH.
Anyhow I concerned about penetration especially concerning big game or when a arrow skids on a bone (ie scapula) and goes wild into the game without exiting.

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With enough weight in the arrow and head, there is very little skidding. I have cut through the shoulder, spine and ball joint in the offside shoulder with the arrow force knocking the deer sideways like it was hit with a sledge hammer. The arrow was stopped at the vanes in the offside, the arrow stuck in the ground when the deer was knocked over and she slid down the shaft. I have never had an arrow deflect in an animal no matter what bone was hit.
The only thing I have seen that will slow penetration is when the deer humps up when hit, putting sideways force on the shaft.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Twice have my arrows been deflected.

1)on a roebuck scapula and he is still to be found

2)on a little running wild boar pelvis. The arrow ricoched and it was really impressive and puzzling. Fortunately, my gamekeeper shot it a couple of minutes later. It was during a driven hunt.

I was using carbon Beman arrow with 125gr Razorhead : total weight 515 grains, with a Mathews 60#.

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada. | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2613 XX78 cut at 32" 125 Eastman Outfitter cut on contact 2 blade head, 70 lb Oneida Pro Eagle. No penetration problems ever. It is quite a chunk of arrow.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Funny,
but I spent most of this afternoon (Your morning) studying online the eastonarchery website, especially arrow tuning.

J B de Runz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jean- Have you checked out the German Kinetics heads? If not, do a search. The are the best and the point(no pun intended) is not arguable. Zwicky and others make wonderful cut on contact heads but I have had some bending on large NA game.I am on a borrowed machine or I could link you to their site. For buffalo, ele, hippo etc. they seem like the logical choice.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I have never used the German (?) kinetics head. But I have been offered twice in a week. Not exactly my taste. I am living just close to the German border, I have had German partners and they all have been disloyal (unfair, unfaithful).Thus I am not prone to use German products.
At that, bowhunting is against the law in Germany, consequently it's hard to give credence to any bowhunting related product. What would do believe if a Froggie gives You advise about whitetail deer when You know there is no whitetail in Europe.
To be serious : I have found my paradise with You all, most of You from America, and I have rather to use what You use and like.

J B de Runz