THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    anyone want to bowhunt in SA 2011?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone want to bowhunt in SA 2011?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I'm pretty well decided to get back to SA in 2011. The camp has room for 2 or 3 hunters and I'd like to go with someone else who bowhunts. I'm not making money on this by the way I just think company is always nice. I'm not a booking agent. I hope Sayeed doesn't mind this post,I don't think I'm breaking any rules as I'm not offering a hunt, rather I'm looking for a hunting partner or two.

Last spring I went with a buddy who used to work on this concession so we got the royal treatment. The owner Mark was pretty impressed by how bowhunters conduct themselves and he's offered some great pricing on a 14 day hunt. I figure if a fellow has to fly all the way over there and spend big bucks on plane tickets anyway, why not stay at least 14 days or more.

So here's the lowdown:

It's with Zingela Safari and River Company and the owner is Mark Calverly. You can see their website

http://www.zingelasafaris.co.za/default.php[/URL]

species available are:

impala
blue wildebeest
grey duiker
bushpig
warthog
kudu
nyala
zebra
bushpig
ostrich
giraffe

The daily rate based on 14 days is $175/day and trophy fees are about the same as any other outfit in SA.

Mark is quite experienced as a Ph but he's getting tired, he's 60ish and the river rafting company he runs is paying the bills, but he's still got tons of animals on his land and they do need to be hunted. We'd be going during his slow season so the camp is there anyway and he want to get a bit more use out of it. There aren't any fences, the river on one side and the valley seems to keep the animals in his neck of the woods.

The hunting is difficult as there aren't any permanent hides and we have to actually hunt rather than hiding in the dark of a hide at a waterhole. Mark says (and I agree) that hunting animals right on a water hole is a little touchy. He doesn't mind us hunting animals on the way to or from the waterholes though. There are lots of great areas to put treestands, there are great dongas to stake out, the warthogs love the green grass along the river. I'll be looking at going the end of May beginning of April as the rut is on for many of the animals and this really helps with the bowhunting. I really enjoyed junting the Impala during their rut last year and I've learned to call them quite well. This kind of hunting might not be for everyone as the sucess rate is lower, but to me it's preferable. I love bowhunting and I love the challenge.

Mark and his wife Linda run a great camp and your every need will be looked after in classic African fashion. I can say without hesitation that the food is first rate. The camp is set up for tourists during the busy season and it's great for families, so if you want to bring yours they will have a good time. There's flyfishing with rods provided, absailing(rapelling), nature walks and drives. The camp staff have some great tricks up their sleeves to make guests feel welcome and you'll be blown away at some of them.

Mark can arrange for baited bushpig hunting on other places, bird shooting, and perhaps bowfishing too. He's very willing to do whatever it takes for his guests to have a good time.

I don't know what elst to say. If anyone needs more info just let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have a great time hunting the way you describe! I also hunt a few places in the area from time to time and enjoy the walking and stalking to the max! The body-count does not always make the PH's excited but it's the most hunt you can have for the money!
JCHB

Posts: 411 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote