THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: How does height affect point of impact?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How does height affect point of impact?
 Login/Join

posted
Here you go boys
Tree stand shots

Look and listen
Lil Ol Me

Posts: 29 | Location: pa | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

9.3x62 - Yes and if you dropped the arrow at the same time you shot the arrow parallel to the ground they would hit at the same time.

Yes, I remember that from 5th grade science class too. Now shoot a rifle down and another perpendicular to it at the same instant - do both bullets hit the groud at the same time? No...

Quote:

From 30 feet up and a 30 yard target I would have to hold for 28.79 yards.

Despite the fact that the flight path would be 31.62 yds. If you held according to this actual distance, it is likely that you would hit high, perhaps not high enough to be a problem, but high nevertheless. I agree that these effects are not substantial when the tree stand is relatively low and/or the angle is not severe. I now hunt from 8-9ft stands, and unless the deer is practically under me (whcih happens) I hold dead on. Anyway...

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd share this one with y'all

This is a scetch of the 80yard walkup target on the "Red" Texas State Championship range in BuffaloGap, outside of Abilene. I hope you can tell? We shot along the edge of a bluff shooting down to the target. It's one of the toughest targets in the state of Texas. Especially if you haven't shot it before.

The 80yd stake is 30ft above the target and usually shot for around 75-76yards

The 50yd stake is 60ft above the target and usually shot for 41-43yards.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Your still not getting the point.

Your distance Theory has nothing to do w/ Gravity. You are forgetting about the Laws of Physics and the variations in gravity's effects at different angles.

I think you should just find someone who has a bow that shoots about 200-220 fps w/ a 500-600 grain arrow and sight it in at 20 yards then, climb 25-30 feet up in a tree and shoot at the same distance. That is the only way I know to prove to you the point.

I have an old bow that shoots 6 inches high when doing the above experiment but, I have a new faster bow that only shoots 2-3 inches high. The "Proof is in the Puddin'"

Please, don't try telling someone who has a slower bow that thier bow will shoot the same from a high treestand. If you tell em' that , they are gonna miss quite a few shots before they find out whats going on.

Once again, Why do you think they invented Pendelum sights?

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It called the "Gravitational Constant" for a good reason ... it is. Till you get down to Quantum levels but we don't shoot there.
True that if you shoot a bullet or arrow parallel to the ground and drop one straight down, they will hit the ground at the same time

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote