THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    New Compound Bow Sugestions

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Compound Bow Sugestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son wants to start bow hunting this year (mule deer in Utah). He is early 20's. He was at Cabelas looking at their Outfitter Series Interceptor XP kit. Are there any other suggestions for a "kit" for under $400? How about used?

thanks

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a local archery pro-shop and they'll have tons of good used compounds for sale. Some guys change them out every year or so and they still have lots of "mileage" left on them. If you buy at a pro shop they can also set it up for your son and show him how to shoot and tune it himself. This is one reason to really be on good terms with a small shop rather than just buying form some store based on price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you know the draw length and weight of the bow, and you have some idea of the make and model I would suggest you try EBay. I bought my Mathews Switchback there and have not regretted it. Obviously you will not get the newest model, but for under $400 you are limited I think. You can then support your local pro shop (hopefully at the range where you practice) by buying whatever accessories you need eg. sight, arrow rest, stabiliser, release, arrows cut to length etc. Your pro shop should also have used bow either on consignment or outright sale. if so, your son can try out various bows and buy the one he likes. I do not really consider a place like Cabelas a "pro shop". If they are anything like my local gander Mountain store, they are not very knowledgeable.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
I called several local shops to tune my new PSE my wife bought me for christmas. The cheapest shop was $40 for a tune. I took it to the local Bass Pro in Denverv and a great guy named Doug spent 3 hours with me and didn't charge a penny for his time.
I agree the mom and pop shops typically are more knowledgeable but in this economy the big box stores are getting some good people.

This site has a good amount of info and a good classified section.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:
My son wants to start bow hunting this year (mule deer in Utah). He is early 20's. He was at Cabelas looking at their Outfitter Series Interceptor XP kit. Are there any other suggestions for a "kit" for under $400? How about used?

thanks

Jon,

Buying a used bow can sometimes be more expensive than buying a top end bow.

The problem is you dont know how the previous owner used the bow and if it was dry fired for instance.

Have a look at the Diamond bow kits not sure what they retail for in the US but they are real value for money.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon ,

Find a good Pro shop pick a bow out that he likes find the best price you can. Diamond is a good bow they are made by Bowtech ,Gerhard is a pro Staffer of Bowtech. I have been shooting a Bow tech for 6 years. I have a 28" draw , I always said if I find a bow that flys 280fps + at 65-70 lbs I will buy it. My bow tech flys 286 at 65 lbs. Happy hunting there are alot of good bows out there.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woo-Hoo!!!

The two partners at the total service archery shop in town have folded the company. They are closing out all bows at actual cost or a bit below and arrows, etc at 50% off!. Soooo, a Matthews Z7 Monster came home with me today. And, some ACCs. $625 for the Monster, and $80 for a dozen ACCs. Woo-Hoo!!
60-70lbs, 30" draw, camo pattern.

One of the partners is opening up a new shop in a new location, so I will have service by the same guy I do now.

Rich

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got a good deal there Rich.

If you don't mind check to see if he has some ACC 3-71 shafts.I would love a couple dozen at that price.

PS -If he has some and you trust me enough, buy them and I will send you a check for shafts and postage to mail them to me.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to help, let me call him.

He says two dozen, plus seven shafts. $150 a dozen, so $150 for two dozen plus $43.75 for the seven. They take cards, I just called and Shane put them behind the counter for me. The shop number is 208-467-5961 ask for Shane.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to get an answer from these numbers.The one you list here is getting me a recording that says the mailbox is full. The other you sent in a PM was answered by a fax machine.I sent you my number in a PM so hopefully I can catch up to these guys.I would really like to buy the whole lot of 3-71's.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We got it done! I went over this am and got them connected.

Rich