New
Find
Notify
Tools

bow on bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would a compound set at 55 lbs, with an arrow with a 100 grs fixed three-blade broadhead do the trick on black bear? (I'll be darned if I remember the arrow weight).

I'm going to restrict myself to 30 yards. After trying out some shots beyond 40 yards, I realized that gravity was getting the better of us, and a few yards off in the estimation of distance makes a lot of difference. So I gather that if I feel the need to use the 40 yard pin, I'm not going to shoot. And somehow the smack into the target at that distance doesn't impress me too much...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
As long as you put the arrow where it belongs, that set-up should be just fine. The arrow weight does matter, but I doubt it's far from the "norm"... Just practice, practice, practice, put the broadhead where it counts, and presto... Dead bear. clap clap clap

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frans I've been reading a great book. The author states the obvious "most bowhunters" mis judge distances by up to 30% and misjudge their effective range at the same time. Together these have a compounding effect. I'd keep it to 20 yards thats pretty far if you're on bait anyway.

have fun I wish it was me going.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
30yards Eeker Eeker Eeker You migt as well use a rifle jumping

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Kongoni:
30yards Eeker Eeker Eeker You migt as well use a rifle jumping

jumping

beer

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah, very funny... clap

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That set up will work fine. Use cut on impact broadheads(Magnus Singers or similar) and it will zip right through them. "DONT" use mechanicals on black bear with that light of a setup.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Frans - I looked at your web page...impressive! Do you have any contacts in Spain? I'm planning on going next year in july and would like to Boar hunt or Roe deer while I'm there.

Thank you,
Frank

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I do (have some contacts in Spain), though I'm not doing business there. I know a bloke, who is a bowhunter, who might be able to arrange something. Least we can do is ask. If you want to PM me with some plans, dates and such, we'll take it from there.

Frans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally an evening without wind, and some time. I still was shooting to the right, and quite a bit. So either my hold changed over the winter, or the sights got bumped, but I was so consistent that I changed the pins around a bit. Gave the hex nuts on the limbs a twist, which lead to a bit of adjustment upwards on the 40 yard pin (which I'm not going to use, Chef!). So, if the situation up there looks "bow-ish" I can't blame the tool if it doesn't come together.

However, I'm ever darker than Chef thinks I am: not only do I use a compound, I'll be taking a rifle too!

Frans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bear hunt with a 60 pound compound and over the last 15 years I have harvested over 22 bears with Thunderhead 125s. Hat complet pass throughs on all but one. That one the arrow went from one end to the other and hit the gound and did not give a complete pass through. I have never had to shoot a bear over 25 yards. I have had none go over 11o yards after being shot.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. I never got round to using the bow. Which is unfortunate, because, of course, last morning I ended up in a situation with a few bears at eye level, and distances that probably could have been closed to under 30 yards with a bit of effort.

Frans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your set up should be fine provided as was said earlier that you use a cut on impact head, and make certain of your shot placement. I recently killed a large black bear with a selfbow, 57#@ my 26in draw and did not have a penetration problem. My broadhead was a 125gr. Zwickey on a homemade cedar shaft.