Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lesson Learned
 Login/Join

posted
I was out on Thursday evening with my bow for Mule Deer bucks on a neighbors Oats field.Crawled to about 60 yards before the 5 young bucks started to spook.They crossed a 3 strand barb wire fence and moved into a small clump of Aspen about 50 yards from the fence.

Next I did something foolish without thinking.I kept my eye on the deer as I crossed the fence. It was stretched quite tight so as is my habit I pressed down on the wire with my bow turned sideways.I have always hunted with aluminum arrows, but recently switched to carbon with the purchase of my new bow.

As I crossed I heard a very faint cracking sound.The 2 youngest bucks decided to walk straight towards me as I reached for an arrow to put on the string.I was less than amused to see that all 3 arrows in my quiver had fractured in the middle when I had crossed the fence.
As I stood there with no usable arrow both bucks walked broadside with 20 yards with no hint of nervousness.

Totally my fault for being so focussed on the deer and not watching where I placed my bow. However I have crossed similar fences for 20 years with my aluminum arrows and have never damaged one.

I got home and removed all of the broken arrows from my quiver and replaced them with my trusty old Easton 2315's.

I gave the Oat field a rest for a day and will be back out this evening after some practice time on the range with the aluminum arrows.

I no longer believe that Carbon arrows are the answer to my style of hunting.

Posts: 8 | Location: Southern Alberta | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I don't know what kind of Carbon arrows you are using, but any reasonable (IMHO Smiler) carbon hunting arrow will survive 5 times the abuse of an aluminum arrow.

I use these 350's, and the only ones I break are from Robin Hoods. Note these are 12 gpi, about like your 11.7 gpi 2315s.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Goldtip as well.

They sure are tuff.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm firearms training 101. Never jump a ditch or cross a fence with a loaded firearm. I guess that applies to bows too Smiler I'm not trying to be a smartass, but if you had leaned the bow against the fencepost instead of using it as a "fence crossing" tool the arrows wouldn't have cracked. We all do that one, I'm guilty too, but we should all know better.

Thanks for reminding us.

the chef

posted Hide Post
Arrows were Carbon Force Radial X Weave stealth hunter 200's.I do not intend to lay blame on the arrows. They were not designed to take that stress.The riser was where the contact was made with some pressure. The arrows made secondary contact.

Live and learn.

The chef has a point. Time to re-evaluate those
habits.

Posts: 8 | Location: Southern Alberta | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make it a habit to lay all waapons down when crossing wire or fences of any type. This is something we teach in all of our Hunter Ed Safety classes.