THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: I do this all the time.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: I do this all the time.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
FWIW, I've also been very blessed with a lot of bowkills.

My average shot is about 12 yards also.

I've killed 4 does since this past Saturday with my bow. 3 from a 16' high stand, and one from the ground. The one from the ground in KY was shot at only 8 yards. It could have been 6 yards but she was just too close for me to draw my bow and I was afraid I'd spook her. It took me about 6 seconds to draw my bow on her when she was at 8 steps. She never knew what hit her. I was hiding behind a big oak, no blind.

one of us
posted Hide Post

No i don't...just got lucky. 20 yards, and i was trying something different, keeping both eyes open. It works good, but sort of makes your eyes seem crossed.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here is picture that shows my targets and bow holder. This was taken from 10 yards to get everything in close, although i never use 10 yards for practice because it's unlikely to get a shooting opportunity that close. I like to practice at 20 yards, and do some at 30 yards. I have an arrow rest at 40 yards, but seldom use it as that is out of range for my bow, but my husband uses it.

The bow holder is made out of rebar and covered with piece of old water hose.

Plinker

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Plinker
I've killed 2 deer and numerous hogs at 10yds are less
you just never know....

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

I'm sure you probably already know but, are you aware that your bow will shoot high out of an elevated stand?

It's a good practice to shoot off of the ground and in a tree so you are familar w/ the difference.

Now there are exceptions, a fast bow w/ light arrows will not suffer from this problem but, most bows shoot high from elevated positions.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, with over 220 bow kills, I figured out the average distance one time long ago. It came out to 12 yards! This means many, many deer at 10 yds. Chances are it has changed as I have some long shots in there now. Won't be much though.
I agree that you have to shoot from the tree stand more then from the ground just before the season opens. My Brownings shoot to point of aim whether on the ground or from the tree, but when I took out the longbow several years ago, I shot over a big buck. Forgot to aim low. The deer stayed there and I put on another arrow but decided not to shoot him. I watched him rub and scrape for 45 minutes. I already had seven deer and only went hunting for something to do. I still can't figure out why I took the bow instead of a camera.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input on this. Will try to do some shooting from a high place. And as far as the 10 yard shots, that's great, should be easier to hit that close. BRFshooter.....220 bow kills, WOW.

Plinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you useing a Mathews Featherlight, Penny? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Derf,

It is a Bow Tech Stalker Lite. 25" draw.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker: I was in a ground blind this evening. A doe walked within 10 yards.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was in a ground blind this evening. A doe walked within 10 yards.

Sounds like i better practice the close up shots.

Plinker