New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broadhead suggestion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody try the Rocky Mtn. Titanium 100? I have been shooting them for a few years. They fly good and group very well for me, but I had to fletch my arrows so the blades and vanes were off set. I have been the most impressed with their penetration. Last year I shot a 270lb buck in Illinois at 52 yards with a 68lb Switchback. Arrow fractured a rib on the way out!!!

I have thought about trying the tricks but, if it ain’t broke…..

Here is a site that has done some interesting testing
http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO muzzy 3 or 4 bladed that comes in 6 in a pack with an additional practise blade will be the most economical choice.goodluck.

One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Magnus Snuffer SS in 100 grain.
They're a cut on contact, easy to sharpen, easy to shoot and penetrate like crazy.

I'll use any cut on contact as long as it shoots well. No mechanicals for me, a friend of mine is a bear hunting outfitter, and he refuses to let anyone use those. Tracking a wounded bear with a shotgun has lost it's appeal to him. He's seen them break, bend or not open.

He swears a one piece cut on contact is pretty fool proof as long as you put it where it belongs.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
Take this with a grain of salt-these are my findings from an entirely non scientific backyard test.
In an attempt to pair up broadheads with a new Bowtech tribute (63#@27 1/2)this winter i first tuned the bw to the best of my abilities using a walk back tuning method until i was able to get consistent 2-3" groups at 20yds, 3-4"@30yds 4-5"@40yds for me thats about as good as i can shoot with a hunting rig (whisker biscuit and .029 pins, easton axis 400's 2" blazer vanes and 100 field points.

Without changing anything on my setup i pulled every 100gr broadhead i have and tried them all

100gr spitfires with practice blades
100gr slick tricks (standard version)
100gr muzzy 4 blade
100gr vortex
100gr rocket steelheads
100gr thunderheads

for me the slick tricks were the only broadhead that grouped well and even out to 40 yds was within 2" of the field point group (center of group to center of group)they consistently grouped high left which may be shooting form as well.

the rocket steelheads were close enough to call almost identical but if i can get a fixed blade to group that well it's what i want to use.

Not going to say which grouped the worst but i was very suprised and happy with the slick tricks.