Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broadhead suggestion
 Login/Join

posted
I'm shooting a Parker Hunter Mag set at 66# with a 29" draw, and I will be hunting whitetail deer in western PA. What would be the best (inexpensive) broadhead for my purpose? I don't want a mechanical, nothing super fancy, just a good, solid, reliable broadhead that I know I can trust and will fly decent. Thanks in advance.

Andy

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Wow there are so many.

I like muzzy broadheads myself.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy2590: What would be the best (inexpensive) broadhead for my purpose?

Andy rethink your broadhead ideas. This is the one single pc. of bowhunting equipment were one SHOULD spend $$$. The braoadhead is the thing that actually does the killing.

I've know many sucessful bowhunters that can go through a pre ans hunting season with only 6 broadheads. They use 2 forpratice and 4 to hunt with(They resharpen the two practice heads and carry them as #5 & #6 in thier quivers.

More important than price is how they fly.

Go luck this fall.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
The best broadheads out there are Slick Tricks, and they are inexpensive. They are a quality 4 blade head that fly like your field points. DO a search on Slick Tricks either at Archery talk or Bowsite for all the info on them that you could ever want.
Slick Trick's web site

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
3 or 4 blade Muzzy.
They fly great and cut well. We are getting pass through's on bull elk with them using 55-60# compounds.
The Muzzy's also come with practice blades included, but I believe that you should shoot a few real blades to make sure of POI.
The head's are quite durable and cost about $30-32 for a six pak.
Good luck.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
No offence intended. But, "they fly like field points"...

I've seen that posted about every single broadhead and judo point on the market.

I've stopped giving brand recommendations for the simple reason that the current heads on the market are all good. Every year some Bowhunter somewere kills a "Book" something with everyone of them.

Man has been killing game for 10,000 years with stone heads. So of course any razor sharp pc. of steel on the front of an arrow will kill anything if you put it in the vitals.

Do read up on the heads, if it makes sence to you buy two packs and try 'em out. Everyone has thier own reasons for they heads they choose I like 2 blades, other like 3 or 4 blades. You won't know what you like until you shot some.

Just don't be cheap about the most imporant pc. of your bowhunting gear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boss makes a great deal of sense. There are just too many goods ones. For a reasonable, tough head, I get the Cabela's Lazer Pro Mags. You can get six for about $17 and I have never broken one of them.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
This year I bought some muzzy phantom 220 grains got 18 heads for $136 shipped. I would like to get a moose with one of these. Big Grin

For a reasonable, tough head, get the Cabela's Lazer Pro Mags. You can get six for about $17 and I have never broken one of them.

I did break one of these but it was just a blade off it. Shot my first bowkill moose with one of these heads.

They are a good head IMO.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
MUZZY

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Kongoni:
No offence intended. But, "they fly like field points"...

I've seen that posted about every single broadhead and judo point on the market.

I don't think that you should discredit something unless you've tried it and you obviously have never tried Slick Tricks !!! I've tried Muzzys and have gone to Tricks as have many hundreds of archers on several forums. Muzzy's blade thickness can't compare to the .035" thickness of the Slick Tricks blade. Another thing, if your bow is in any reasonable state of tune, the Tricks WILL fly exactly like your field points. Like I said, do a search on those 2 forums and decide for yourself.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
READ what you quoted again S..L..O..W..L..Y and think about what the sentence says. Wink

HOw long willl it be before bowhunters have this guy on the backs of thier trucks with some broadhead company's logo under it?

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Ive experimented with gobs of different heads out there for the last 20 years. Everything from 2 bladed fixed blades to mechanicals. Right now, Im using a liberty broadhead from American Broadhead Company. They are a "short" broadhead, but still weigh 100 grains. Out of a properly tuned bow they are impacting the same as my field points.(note I said properly tuned) I tune my field points and broadheads to hit the same place by moving the arrow rest or nock point. Once I tune the impact, then I adjust the site.

Ive also had great luck with Thunderheads and Spitfires. Just be sure to shoot them first, put on new blades and practice.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowhuntrrl, I have heard this fom many locals who started using Slicktricks before they became
popular elsewhere. I have just started using them, ( I am on the conservative side) & it's looking good indeed. I like those Cape Buffalo stories on their site. I live about 9 miles from the company.

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the Tight Points.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The last time I saw info on it...the Thunderhead was #1 seller and the Muzzy #2 There is a reason for that. I'm a Muzzy guy myself with over 30 years of bowhunting experience. I have buddies who swear by the Slick Trick and one day I'm gonna try them. The Slick Trick's blade thickness really impresses me. However, I've never had a Muzzy fail me. What drew me to the Muzzy was the way they are put together....I just can't imagine them coming apart. Also the practice blades. I never shoot field points any more...NEVER. Only broadheads! O.K. except when I paper tune...but then always broadheads. But the bottom line is that you can't go wrong with any of these three. Something I would suggest is just what I said above...practice, practice, practice with broadheads. They aren't as forgiving as field points if you have bad form or punch a trigger or whatever. Any of them will be just fine. Good luck!

308XP

Posts: 32 | Location: GA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot....On my Muzzys I sharpen my Trocar point and the blades even when they are new. Sharp...SCARY sharp...That's a huge plus to a quick humane kill. Of course, you probably already knew that.

308XP

Posts: 32 | Location: GA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that I didn't see the Montec G5 mentioned.

I've done a load of tests on the fixed blade heads out there and edge for edge I found:

They were easier to tune than others
They are easy to resharpen
They maintain a better cutting edge through thick hide and bounces off bone because of the angle of the blade
Cut on contact/1-piece

They worked for me, and I would recommend trying them.

EMC2

Posts: 37 | Location: South Central Long Island, NY | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Al Smith
posted Hide Post
I give another vote for Muzzy.

Posts: 17 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I like the cut-on-contact BH in general, and the Steel Force BH in particular. For whitetail I used Muzzy 3 blade 125s with good results for a few years, but think the SteelForce is better all-around after 3 years using them.

Definitely stay with fixed-blade BH, and you won't go far wrong on whitetails.

I have heard very good reports on the Slick Tricks. but never shot them.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've been using Steelforce for a few years now and like them. They have done well for me both in North America (bear & Deer) and in Africa (warthogs, impala, baboons, kudu).

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzzy's with my Peason Edge, and Wensels out of my stickbows.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Thunderheads get my vote, but they are all good.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
I love Slick Tricks. Like someone said, they are all good, but just like a fishing lure, user confidence is the most important part. Thus, I only hunt with Slick Tricks. Or Whack 'ems, or Thunderheads.

For the most part, if broadheads don't shoot well for you, you might want to think about tuning your bow.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Muzzy's, like them alot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have settled on Muzzy 125 3 blade and will take them to Africa in a week for a 2 week plains game hunt. I will let you know how they do over there for me. I harvested 22 large wild feral pigs in Texas last year without a failure or loss of animal. I am taking a few G-5's to try as well. Being able to take replacement blades was an important aspect to my decision to use them since weight and room packing for international travel was a major concern. Whatever you pick, practice with them and choose something that holds together well. You spend all this time and money so don't look for a bargain for the business end of your arrow!I shoot several Matthews bows, both the Switchback and Outback set at 70lbs and Carbon express 350's for shafts.So far this set up has been very successful for me.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
As a broadhead for Whitetails, just about any well constructed head that you can tune to your bow will certainly do the job. Choose a few different ones to try out, and stick with the one that you can consistantly get to fly the best. Your confidence will grow both at the range and in the field -- just don't get caught up in they hype or needing to have the ultimate head. I've been using Rocky Mountain Titanium 100s for years now -- they fly consistantly straight and put down what I hit.

If you were hunting bigger stuff, my answer might be different.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Muzzy 3 blade. Montec looks very promising also.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
G5 Montec worked great on the Western PA whitetails I've run them through.

They fly like freakin' darts, too!! Best shooting broadhead I've ever used in nearly 30 years of bowhunting.

Shoot....kill.......re-sharpen.......repeat. Wink

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Muzzy 4 blade 125's on 31" Axis 300's

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever use the Montec B-52?

How good is the steel in them? Will they take a razor edge? Do they resist bending at the ferrule? At the tip?

I like the two-blade heads, as you can see!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
I chose Muzzy after doing a little reading in this very forum. Got my 1st ever bow kill 2 weeks ago. Performance was better than I expected - not really knowing what to expect being a rookie. 40 yard sprint and she was dead and the entrance wound looked like the exit wound my .340 makes

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a ton of quality broadheads out there these days and they will all do the job if the shooter does their part. For me personally i've been shooting Thunderheads for 16yrs and i have no complaints. I've never had not one problem getting them to tune and fly like darts with any set-up i've used and their performance on game has always been excellent. Having said that, i bought some slicktricks this year to try and they also shoot very well but i haven't shot any game with one so i can't comment on how it performs on the real thing. I didn't need a new broadhead with the success i've had with thunderheads but the design of the trick and the extra cutting blade it offers is what enticed me to give them a try. Good luck!

Life's Tough....God's Good....Pray Hard!

Posts: 40 | Location: NC | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Nice going on your bowkill.

You cannot go wrong with a Muzzy. If you look in my quiver any given time, you'll see several different broadheads. As long as the have same POI, I don't care what it is. Right now, I have 2 Rocket 125-grain expandables, 2 3-blade 100 grain muzzys, and 2 100-grain thunderheads.

I've also had success with vortex. I'll shoot anything that shoots well. Unless it costs way beyond it's appropriateness.

One of my all time favorite heads is the little 4 blade Muzzy 100 grain.

And, fwiw, if you truly have a well tuned bow, there's no reason why a broadhead cannot hit like a field point. I am not going to start any arguments here at all but I won't put an arrow in my quiver that is topped with a broadhead unless it hits like the field point.

I've been bowhunting only a few years, since 1989, but I've taken MUCH more game with a bow than a firearm/muzzleloader put together. I was always told to tune your bow until the heads group like the points WITHOUT moving the sight.

And the thing about thunderheads and muzzys is you can always find them in some stores near the end of the season for dirt cheap. I buy 3-4 boxes of both at Meijer grocery store here in the Cincinnati area every year for $14-15 for a six pack. I bet I have 50 new broadheads in my safe.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I have shot Muzzys for years but with my new bow the guys at Archery Headquarters recomended I try the Wac'em broadheads. On targets they shoot really well. only slight sight adjust from my field points point of impact. I bought 100 grainers. my Axis FMJ 300 arrows are 503 grains with 100 grain broadheads.
They say a lot of local guys are moving to the Wac'ems. Hopefully I will give a field test report on them when I get back on Nov 12th from Ohio

Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recommend a cut on contact head. Muzzy Phanthom is an excellent choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slick Tricks, they do fly like field points and penetrate like no tomorrow, Boss if you have never used a product you cant put it down. I have never seen a braodhead fly like the tricks do. Educate yourself do a search and you will see a universal agreement on how they fly and kill. This plus the fact they are inexpensive compared to all others.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2003 I shot and passed through an Eland Bull with a three blade 125 grain muzzy - recovered within 70 yards - these are good broadheads when put in the right place.
I was VERY anti mechanical then - anti without ever having tried a mechanical broadhead.
I was having pin point accuracy problems with the muzzys out to longer distances and never could get them to group with my field points from 20 - 70 yards.
I tried the rocket steelheads and they flew perectly between 20 - 70 yards with my field points. I tried them hunting and have used mechanicals ever since.
Someone told me that Tekans were no good - someone told me that Tekans were great. I got a pack of three for free and tried them - three kills, one Wildebeest, one Impala and one Warthog.
It is the broadhead that kills but you have to put it in the right place.
If you want pin point accuracy over 70 yards where broadheads fly like fieldpoints, test and use those that do for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to shoot out to 70 yards?
The answer to that is twofold, some of us choose to hunt out to that distance as a first choice - to those who dont, there are times when the only follow up shot is a longer shot and for that reason we should practise and prepare for such shots and accuracy under those circumstances.

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I have been using 125gr Slick Tricks they worked good on impala and warthog.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Muzzy 125 3 blades. Did well with them in Africa and use them in Texas on deer and wild pigs. My hunting buddies use a Steelforce 125 or larger, cut on impact especially if hunting larger animals and was impressed with their performance. I have heard great things about the "Slick Tricks" and would like to try them. Can anyone tell me where they find them. I was at Gander Mountain this weekend and asked about them and they said they never heard of them. They had over 20 brands of broad heads in stock. They must be availble somewhere with as many people using them, where do you "Slick Tricks' shooters purchase them? drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote