New
Find
Notify
Tools

no luck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wow I'm just not seeing very many deer under my stand this year. Last year I at least saw does!! I'm wondering-last year I was a fanatic about scent reduction and this year I've gotten lazy. I still go out in freshly washed clothes etc. but I'm not spraying down with scent eliminator, mostly because it's been cold and I hate to get even colder. I might have to go back to my old ways and see if it makes a difference. Next week is my last chance locally with my bow-I'd sure like to connect before I head to Sask. with my rifle. The last three afternoons in the stand I've basically seen nothing- That's about 14 hours of sitting, it's getting frustrating.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Normally you will know when you get scent-busted by does. They tell the whole world with a few loud wheezes.

In my experience, though, the bucks will just slink away, so you never know unless you see them.

I think that baths, unscented soap, etc, help some - and I use a hunter's detergent on my clothes - but IMHO there's nothing in the world that will keep a white-tail from smelling you if the wind is wrong. I'd never spend the bucks on those carbon clothes.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Don, it is just not that important. I hear doe's blow all the time around me and in the distance, even up wind and find they are not doing it to me but to other deer that they run into unexpectedly. They still come out and if you pay attention to the deer you can see, you will see they don't pay much attention to another deer blowing and squalling. All they do is look that way and go about what they were doing.
It is far more important to not leave scent on the ground or plants as you go to the stand.
I think the problem is that the deer have changed travels because the food supply is somewhere else with the seasonal change. It is time to go look for them and to move the stand. They are also starting to bunch up more and tend to stay together.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to think the deer didn't think anything of scent where you've walked because there'd be trail cam pics of deer at the feeder 15 min after i was just there. Then i recently put the camera on a deep deer trail, and walked right down the trail to hang it. The cam then showed pictures several hours later that the deer hung way back and wouldn't go down the trail. In the pictures they are just staring down the trail like how they do when they wind you, but i was long gone. So it's hard to tell... I think they get used to human scent in certain places but not in the deep brush trails that never have human scent and so they DO notice that change.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it's true they have changed their eating patterns. Unfortunately the area I'd love to hang my stand is on the neighbours property and he's a damned bowhunter too....so obviously he'll nix that idea. They are still going through my chunk of bush but not regularly and I never seem to be there at the right time. When they do come through they have no natural funnels and can filter through wherever they damned well choose Confused There are some nice rubs close to one of my stands and it's a matter of time before I can get the big fella to come to my "cute lil decoy" I'm just frustrated with the change of events. By the way I saw a huge set of tracks yesterday...possibly the biggest I've ever seen.

Note to self-same note to self as last year at this time. Wait 6 months and begin to actively prospect for a nice new hunting area.

thanks for your ideas!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is time to become very good friends with your neighbor. I share my land and best stands with all of my friends. That is what they are for! Friends are much more important then a deer.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, your not the only one. Something is very strange around here too. I'm having the worst year I've had in years as far as seeing deer.

Matter of fact, nobody in our camp or the camps around are seeing anything. I even called my family that hunts about 50 miles away and a good friend in North Miss. and same story there, noone is seeing game or killing any for that matter.

I've hunted hard since October first on average about 3-4 days each week and the only bucks I've seen were two small spikes!!! I have seen a few does each week but, the buck situation has been a head scratcher for sure. In years past they were in full rut by this time and by the sign and watching all the does, they haven't hardly even started yet here. The weather has been much cooler than usual as well.

The rut is coming and should be here soon. I don't know what the hold up is. Usually by this time every year I've seen plenty of young bucks but, this year I haven't even seen a 1.5 year old besides those 2 young spikes.

The bucks are there though, I've found plenty of rubs around 3 different Beaver ponds. When the rut comes in, they'll probably show

It will not be too long I hope.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote