Find
Notify
Tools

Mathews or ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
I am a die hard stick and string guy. But age/arthritis necessitate something easier to draw. I am considering a Matthews Drenalin 70# bow w/ a 30" draw length. Any pros or cons or other recommendations? Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stick and string is harder to pull as you get older. There are many good makes of bows out there - the Mathews Drenalin is a good one and @ 70# with a 30" draw you can hunt just about anything short of the big game. It is also a great target bow, smooth, nice draw and let off - very comfy to shoot etc, you cant go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Soroko:
The stick and string is harder to pull as you get older. There are many good makes of bows out there - the Mathews Drenalin is a good one and @ 70# with a 30" draw you can hunt just about anything short of the big game. It is also a great target bow, smooth, nice draw and let off - very comfy to shoot etc, you can't go wrong.

Hi Soroko,

Thanks for your reply. The bolded part above kinda confuses me. I used to hunt elk with 60# traditional equipment. What are you meaning by "big game?" Thanks again.

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pleasure - I was referring to Cape Buffalo, Hippo, Elephant etc - the really big tough game.
The Drenalin would be good for Elk, Moose etc.

The nature of the compound v the stick and string bow is such that you get an awesome amount more energy behind your arrow with a lot less pulling effort.

Happy hunting.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Soroko. I suspected that's what you meant, but wasn't sure. I doubt I'd ever have the right mix of testosterone, insanity, and confidence in a backup (PH) to hunt DG with a bow. BOOM

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But age/arthritis necessitate something easier to draw.

You mean lighter draw weight correct? To me a traditional bow is easier to draw because it is more fluid. Or do you need substantially less holding weight?

quote:
The nature of the compound v the stick and string bow is such that you get an awesome amount more energy behind your arrow with a lot less pulling effort.

That should say holding effort.

If you are interested in staying traditional. You can look at Adcock's ACS CX bows. That limb design allows you to shoot approx a 50lb bow and get 60lb performance from traditional equipment.

But if it is holding weight that your looking at, go with a compound and don't look back.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hi SDHunter,

Thanks for your reply. I have never held a recurve or longbow at full draw. I was taught that the instant my right middle finger touches the anchor point at the side of my mouth to release. All my bowhunting to date has been with 60-65# recurves & longbows...with the exception of a short stint with an 80# recurve. I'll take a look at Adcock's bows, though. Thanks.

Well crud, I live ~75 miles from Roswell...looks like a road trip is imminent.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I hold at full draw very long when hunting. It feels like I do, but I hit anchor, concentrate on the site picture/ spot and release.

It happens a whole lot slower when I'm practicing I suppose.

But I know that I'm not a true snap shooter like some. I need to have that solid anchor and focus. It just works better for me.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Don't rule out the Ross line of bows. Just as good or better than a Mathews and you can save $100-$200 on the cost. When you factor in that the Ross has winners choice string and cables there is more of a savings. The cardiac is their "fast" bow and is new for '07 so it is hard to get right now. The 334 I have is the smoothest drawing bow I have ever shot and it just plain shoots great. If I where you I would shoot as many bows as you can before deciding what one to buy. Try a Ross and I think you'll take one home with you.

www.rossarchery.com

Here is a pic of my 334

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matthews makes some of the finest....but many of us that own them think they laid an egg with the Drenalin. Switchback, Outback, Q2 and other models are quieter and smoother. Part of this may be a result of making it too light weight not able to absorb the recoil and shock of release.

My favorite is the Switchback....quietest bow I've ever owned.

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I think the Switchback is the best bow Mathews has ever put out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got your new bow yet Andy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the switchback but the drenalin is a damn fine also can't go wrong either way.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Went with the Drenalin...a fellow I know had a new one I wanted and I had a couple of cheap guns he wanted so we traded. I'm waiting on a sight and I'll be in business.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good choice - you now have the top of the range Mathews. Be sure to let us know how you adapt from the stick to the compound and if you find it as gratifying.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The change from stick to machine will be interesting. Shooting instinctively vs aiming with a sight are different critters! I'll keep ya posted.

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
All I can say is I have alot to get used to! Turning my string hand, standing up straight, aiming with a sight, and using the release are.......WAY different than the instictive shooting that is ingrained in my memory! I've turned the bow down to 60# for the familiarization process.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I am also in the market for a new compound. I havent bow hunted since the early 90s. Man has archery come a long way! So far I have tested the following bows:
Mathews Drenalin
Mathews Switchback
Bowtech Guardian
Bowtech Alligiance
Ross Cardiac
Ross 331
Ross 337
Hoyt Vetrix
PSE X force
Bear Truth

All were fine bows!!

I find my choices narrowed to the Drenalin, Guardian and Cardiac. These to me were the smoothest drawing bows I tested with great speed, low recoil, and low noise. I think the Cardiac may be the slower of the 3 but not by much. I am going to test all three bows once more before I decide. Its gonna be a tough decision!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not a cam bow afficionado, but my Drenalin has exceeded my expectations. Today, I hit a half inch target dot from 40 yards. I doubt I could do that with a recurve unless I shot all day long. Whether it's a bit louder than the Switchback XT I will never know...this will be my last bow...unless they come out with something that shoots ~400 fps! Cool Every deer that has jumped the string or that I have just m-m-m-m-m-issed with a stick and string would have been D-E-D had I been using this bow at the time.

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of great bows out there. Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite,Pearson, PSE,High Country. It all boils down to what feels the best for you. Go to as many Pro shops as you can and draw back as many brands and models as you can. I am 60 and over the last few years have had to modify my "taste" in bows due to a shoulder problem. Don't be afraid to get a 60 lb bow. The new bows are so fast that 70 lbs is no longer needed to kill game cleanly. My Elite is 60 lbs and draws smooth as warm butter !!! When I start shooting in summer, I back it down to 53 and build up to its peak of 61 lbs by September. When you hold that one bow that feels best to you and draw it back, you will know that it's the one !!! Check out the Synergy by Elite, probably the most bang for your buck that you can get.

Elite Archery

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
I am also in the market for a new compound. I havent bow hunted since the early 90s. Man has archery come a long way! So far I have tested the following bows:
Mathews Drenalin
Mathews Switchback
Bowtech Guardian
Bowtech Alligiance
Ross Cardiac
Ross 331
Ross 337
Hoyt Vetrix
PSE X force
Bear Truth

All were fine bows!!

I find my choices narrowed to the Drenalin, Guardian and Cardiac. These to me were the smoothest drawing bows I tested with great speed, low recoil, and low noise. I think the Cardiac may be the slower of the 3 but not by much. I am going to test all three bows once more before I decide. Its gonna be a tough decision!

Curious why you liked the Drenalin over the Switchback (XT?)?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Mathews.I bought mine when I had a seperated shoulder and still was able to hunt that year!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curious why you liked the Drenalin over the Switchback (XT?)?

Because its the newest model of course!! jumping

Seriously, I thought I could tell the Drenalin was a little smoother on the draw. Couldve been in my head though??

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Tundraman
posted Hide Post
another happy Drenalin owner here. congrats on your new bow!

Posts: 19 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Im officially back into bow hunting. Ended up with the Drenalin. Havent had time to shoot it due to work and the damn HEAT!