Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trying to bow hunt again.
 Login/Join

posted
I am 60 years young. I have a new PSC, Pro Hunter.Shooting Carbon Force Arrow, with 100 gr.field points the shafts are 200 which are,6.7Gr. per inch. Havring trould Pulling over 50 lbs. Still want to try to hunt deer.want to buy fix blade hunting heads.which ones? thanks for any help Ican get.

Posts: 4 | Location: kansas | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, you're going to have fun!! I don't shoot compound so take what I say with a grain of salt. I think heavier shafts and heads would be the answer and then you could shoot 40-50 lbs if you want. You'll have a heavy slow arrow and will have to keep shots under 25 yards. Not to worry though because it's easy to get within 25 yards. Use a 2 blade broadhead, definately not mechanicals because you won't have enough oomph to get em working.

Then practice a lot and away you go!!!

the chef

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
M1A,
Sounds like you've got a good set up. Never heard of PSC though..? Did you mean PSE? I would buy Muzzy 100gr 3 blade broad heads. They're about $30 per 6 pak and come with pracise blades as well. You'll want to shoot with a set of real blades as well to make sure that they hit with your sights. Number your arrows to single out any bad ones that won't group with the rest.
Good luck and have fun. BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Yes it is a PSE. bow The last time went hunting with a bow was in the late 60s. They have change a lot.Was in the armyfor ten years. I trained to hunt. After I got out, I used my training to hunt deer and other things. Rifle is to easy.So I am going to try bow.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
M1A - Put your time in at the range and you'll do fine. My best advice is to hold yourself to a ealistic shot distence....that you set for yourself. A rangewetre you can consistantly shoot a 2" group (or better).

Welcome back to the hunt in it's purest form.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are hunting a spring season you have plenty of time to work into your draw weight. If possible ask your pro shop to set the bow even lighter. Increase the draw weight incrementally over the summer as you grow comfortable with the poundage. That said for a a few years I used a comppound set at 55, aluminum arrows, and three blade 100 gr Muzzy's. Worked fine out to 30 yards. Stay away from the shoulder and 50 lbs ought to be plenty. If you wait for the perfect broadside double lung hit the most you'll need to penetrate is two ribs. Welcome back.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'd get the 100 grain steelforce broadheads for a light pull weight bow. Get the one without serrations.

Tough, sharp, and cut-on-contact.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you Don G. That is what I wanted to hear.Order 6,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
its great you're getting back into it.
from my experience the two bladed heads aren't as accurate as the 3 blades, just my opinion, and i'm not sure how much difference it makes to the animal. definately more of a shot placement then broadhead, although they both definately play a big role. its been a while since i hunted with a bow, but when i did i always used 125 grain thunderheads. worked great.
only thing i can tell you is to make sure you account for drop with a slower bow, it will have a much bigger impact on you then someone shooting a faster arrow.