The Accurate Reloading Forums
Another Magnus kill

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/405104355

14 October 2006, 06:58
Don_G
Another Magnus kill
This young doe never knew she was hit. At 25 yards the 125 gr MagnusII from my 83# Allegiance went through her so fast she literally did not know she was hit. After the shot she picked up an acorn started chewing it, then froze and fell over. You can see the blood "trail". I rolled her over to show the entrance wound. I reckon it cut the aorta.

If you notice, I actually shot her a bit too far forward for a deer. Perfect placement for a Cape Buffalo. I gotta start telling myself "you ain't in Africa anymore, Don".

I got her in the Urban Zone, so I can still keep hunting.

See, now that I have a digital camera, I burden you with pictures of my lunch! Big Grin

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!
14 October 2006, 14:18
cchunter
Don, congratulations!

Horrile thaught to force oneself to think that your not in Africa when all your days are about imagine you are in Africa Cool

Since you now are armed with a digital camera I have an assignment for you, could you take a picture of the broadhead and post please.

Then a question from s non US, what does it mean when you say; Since I was in the urban area I can keep it????
14 October 2006, 15:24
Don_G
Christer,

The Urban Area is a feature of Ohio hunting. So many deer are killed by cars near the big cities that they have made it legal to take up to 4 extra does in those regions. If I hunted only outside the Urban areas I could only take 1 doe and 1 buck.

I live North of Cincinnati, in an Urban region that runs to Dayton. So I can take up to 6 does and 1 buck total if I hunt in the right places around the state.

Here's the 125 gr Magnus II broadhead. The arrow is a Carbon Express Terminator Hunter that weighs 12 gpi. Total arrow weight is 534 gr at 28.5 inches. Bow was a 30" draw 83# Allegiance.

The broadhead is .050 thick in the center and .025 along the back edge.

Gotta go get in the stand!

Don_G

15 October 2006, 01:11
Canuck
WTG Don! You pic and comment about "lunch" is giving me a hankerin for a whitetail bbq! I can visualize those hams turning on a spit, a la Walter's impalas. Smiler

Do you like those Magnus heads more than the steelforce? They look nearly identical the the Journeyman BH's I use on my trad arrows.

What do you think of the Magnus Stingers?

Cheers,
Canuck

15 October 2006, 01:12
Canuck
quote:
she literally did not know she was hit. After the shot she picked up an acorn started chewing it, then froze and fell over.

Clearly that Allegience is pretty darn quiet too!

Cheers,
Canuck

15 October 2006, 02:09
Doc
I went hunting last evening too down in Indian Hill, another urban area. Too dark by the time I saw a doe at 20 yards. 717pm. Had to pick up my brother at another sight. He shot a doe at 710pm at 8 yards. He saw the same 8 pt. buck that I saw 2 weeks ago and let it walk. Doe was big though.

Congrats on another deer Don-- Wink

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns
15 October 2006, 22:50
Don_G
Congrats to your bro, Doc.

Canuck, I think the Magnus II bhs are just as good as the SteelForce bhs - and you get six for the price of three SteelForce!

If you get some, be sure to look for the "Screw-in Magnus IIs, as they already have the adapter glued on straight at the factory.

Don_G

16 October 2006, 17:56
Reloader
That's the kind of blood trail I like Don!

Nice to hear the Magnus did well for you.

I saw 3 Saturday Morning but couldn't get a shot off.

Had to hang up the bow for a while, Gotta get my gear packed for Colorado.

Good Luck

Reloader
16 October 2006, 18:20
Don_G
Good luck out there!

Don_G

16 October 2006, 18:53
cchunter
Thanks for the information Don, interesting to learn how hunting rules work in other countries.
16 October 2006, 19:48
calgarychef1
Don, what kind of edge does the magnus take? I've got some Nugent broadheads and the price is great however they don't take an edge like I want. They are ok I suppose but the chef in me says "this thing must be able to get sharper" I can just barely get a shaving edge, they will take a "toothy" edge with a file. I prefer a smooth as butter edge on all my cutting tools.
19 October 2006, 06:45
splinterhands
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Don, what kind of edge does the magnus take? I've got some Nugent broadheads and the price is great however they don't take an edge like I want. They are ok I suppose but the chef in me says "this thing must be able to get sharper" I can just barely get a shaving edge, they will take a "toothy" edge with a file. I prefer a smooth as butter edge on all my cutting tools.

That is EXACTLY why I quit using the famous Bear Broadheads. The stainless steel used in the heads does not take much of an edge at all. I am curious about his answer to the Magnus, though.

Like you Chef I take pride on having the sharpest knife, hatchet, broadheads and any thing else sharpenable. No hair left on my left arm means it's time to hunt.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."
20 October 2006, 05:22
Don_G
chef, Sorry, I did not see your question. The Magnus II broadheads are ground to the right profile from the factory, but the edge has a wire-burr on it. It comes off with literally two strokes on my Lansky fine stone at the 25 degree angle. They are then razor sharp and hold an edge very well. The one that went through a doe, then a shed wall then buried into the shed floor is still razor sharp. It is good carbon steel.

I got a 6 pack of the four-blade version of the 125 gr Muzzy II to play with. The main blade is .050 at the tip, .025 on the wings. There is a vent in the main blade to keep the weight at 125 when they add the bleeder. The bleeder is .020 thick, which I think is too thick. I like the old Fred Bear styel "razor-blade bleeder" that was about .010 thick.

The bleeder is owner-installed, and I could not get it to snap into place like it is supposed to on the only one I have tried so far.

I also did not like the metal on the later production Bear stainless broadheads. I have 6 unused ones because they would not take an edge.

Don_G