Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot scope
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody else use a red dot scope on there compound bow? With my eyesight I changed from the fiber optics, and it is so much easier to see. It was a PIA to set up though.
How do you think it will hold up through a season? TVC15

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Ive used a red dot since 1991 without problems. Ive hunted from -20 degrees to over 105 degrees without problems.

I shoot a Pollington Pro Sight and it came with a video on how to set it up. Several of the other companies sell lower end models that can be problematic.

I shoot for Oneida bows which owns the Pro-Sight so Im biased. But after 15+ years of tinkering, there is no better sight on the market.

A red dot will eliminate your chance to torque the bow and force you to maintain proper form. It works well in low light and allows you to shoot with both eyes open.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a Zeiss Z-point on my compound. Indeed took a wee while to set it up (brackets, and nuts, and screws, etc...) but likely a regular sight would have cost me the same effort (I'm very good at figuring out the wrong order for doing things!).

I love shooting it. It has a small solar panel that is supposed to help with battery life. I haven't hunted with it yet, but that will be remedied soon. Watch this space! Wink

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Eotech on one of my compounds. Great for low light conditions! Have taken a bunch of deer with it.

A pain to setup and some folks will find it a challenge to learn to use as it forces consistent form. I had used one on IPSC pistols for years so that was not a surprise for me.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
I am far sighted and as my eyes got worse I was not able to use pins as I couldn't focus on them and the target. I was getting ready to sell my bow and give it up, but I got a Trashco red dot to try on my Garand in place of the battle sights and thought maybe I could make it work on my bow also.

It was a pita to make the brackets, but what a difference. I just love it. What is really neat is the sight works best with both eyes wide open. You can see the arrow fly to its mark with no problems at all. As is noted above, it forces you to use the proper form each time or you can't see the dot.

Sorry I can't help you with how it will hold up, other than mine has faired well and I haven't treated the bow any different than I would have with the pins.

I picked up the bow this fall, turned on the sight, nocked an arrow and sent it into the bull at 25 paces. The next two arrows went along side the first.

The fourth arrow went through an 8 pointers heart. He went 20 paces and collapsed.

I love shooting my bow again. Regardless of how long your red dot lasts, or the problems you may have with it, keep trying them until you find the one that works for you as the alternative is not good at all.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm really excited after the feed back, I can't figure why they arn't more popular.
I am yet to shoot with both eyes open. I know that is the best way, but old habbits die hard. Thanks, TVC15

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVC15:
I'm really excited after the feed back, I can't figure why they arn't more popular.
I am yet to shoot with both eyes open. I know that is the best way, but old habbits die hard. Thanks, TVC15

What works for me is to focus both eyes on the the point of impact (while you are drawing the bow) and then move the bow and sight to that point. Both eyes stay focused on that point throughout the shot.

You'll get used to it, this "old dog" did.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread made me interested in the red dot scopes for my bow - and there are obviously many choices to go with the red dot scope - but I am not finding any information on who makes a weaver compatible scope mount as would be needed for an aimpoint or Eotech.

Who do you guys use?

Also with a redpoint - arent you going to be limited with only one point of aim at a set range as opposed to having multiple pins set at multiple ranges?

Posts: 35 | Location: KS | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I mounted mine on a pc. of 1/2" plexiglass. Had a old dovetail base that I mounted it to. TVC15

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Hugh said. Great sight. Does anyone know if they can be used to hunt in Colorado, I have heard otherwise and I don't want to go back to pins and a peep. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Chain,

Not legal in CO, nor any state that bans electronic/battery lit sights on archery gear. Any state that bans lighted sight pins has a ban on red dots.
They would rather you shoot poorly and increase your wound and loss ratio, than grasp new technology to make you a better shot.

In my opinion.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Littebig...
Burris makes a Weaver compatible reflex site that weighs two ozs. and is less than 3" long.
Can't pull a bow any longer but I've hunted with a 3 dot Simmons red dot on my crossbow that is also Weaver able. For that matter, Excalibur sells a crossbow scope with multiple aiming points that are adjusted for velocity. The reticule can be lighted (red) on demand. It is 3.5 power when adjusted to the highest velocity. May be a bit bulky for compound bow but could also serve as a stabalizer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean Hugh. I don't understand either but I am thinking of selling my Pro and sight and going to a long bow for everything. I have been toying with one and I like it. Do you need a Pro?

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Chain,

I recently sold my wood limbed Pro and bought one of, if not the last Pro ESC. I had Will make it up for me in Black with Stainless Steel hardware. It looks and shoots awesome

I sold my Pro on Ebay with a buy it now. The guy who bought it turned around and resold it for $100.00 more.

You should try Ebay with a high reserve, youll get it.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Do the red dot sights (like the Z point) have multiple aiming points for different distances?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
No,
the Z point offers only one spot.
Gee, how expensive is this Zeiss !!!!!!! It can be good.
The Docter is smaller and as bright as the Zeiss Point.........and slightly cheaper.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TVC15,

It will hold up just fine until you miss that big one because you didn't hold the bow just perfect due to the extra clothes or gloves. Wink

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not a problem. Here in South Carolina September is tee shirt hunting.TVC15

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:
No,
the Z point offers only one spot.
Gee, how expensive is this Zeiss !!!!!!! It can be good.
The Docter is smaller and as bright as the Zeiss Point.........and slightly cheaper.

So do you just hold over for longer distances?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote