New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct arrow weight?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shoot a Mathews MQ-1 set at 62 lbs. I use Carbon Impact "fat shaft" arrows (6000) that are 28 1/4 inches. My draw length is 28 inches, arrows fly at 260 FPS, and my arrows weighed in at 395 grains, with a 125 grain field point.

I am wondering if that is too light of an arrow. I have had complete pass through on both deer last year, this spring, on boars I had the arrow buried into the fletching on two seperate shots, on the same pig.

Would like to solicit some responses as to whether I am using a correct arrow, etc... I plan on using this set up for an African hunt for plains game next year. Thank you in advance for your help..

Bill

Posts: 31 | Location: Berry, Kentucky | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, you're fine, you could probably actually come down to a 100gr broadhead if you felt like it. I think you only need 325gr or more.

I have no clue about the spine of the carbon arrows you're using, but generally the carbons can be used over a broader range.

I don't know what's suitable for African plains game either, but I would imagine that your set up would work.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Your arrow weight seems sufficient.

But you might want to toy with these suggestions: How is your arrow balanced? A 125gr head might be a little top heavy on that light carbon shaft. A better balanced arrow sometimes improves penetration, hence a 100gr tip is a viable option. However, if you are persuing things bigger than deer and hogs more arrow mass may be in your best interest. To do this while maintaining a 125gr point, see if you can get weight tubes for your shafts. For the GoldTips I shoot, 2gr and 3gr per inch tubes are sold at the local archery shop. And they will not change the arrows spine, just add mass.

As a side note, I snuck a 3gr/inch wieght tube into 1 arrow of my hunting partner's quiver. Mostly I did this as a joke to give him a flier and a headache one afternoon. He didn't notice it till a week later when chronographing! And it was only 10fps slower. Anyway he's gonna try a weighted arrow on elk this year. Our guess is that it should help noticably.

Experiment, experiment, experiment. And if you wind up right where you are, you're probably in good shape.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information and advice. I will be at the archery shop doing some shooting and experimenting on Monday AM. Will post results here...Bill

Posts: 31 | Location: Berry, Kentucky | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, just a quick update after your advise...I shot some 100 grain heads, much better. I picked up 7 FPS, not really concerned with speed, but the arrow seems a lot more stable in flight. paper tune shots looked real good, much better than the 125 grain heads. So I will be changing to 100 grain broadheads this week.

thanks for your help. Only 45 more days til bow season opens ........

<Old Jim>
posted
Just a word of caution. Some areas in Africa have weight limitations for arrows. Must be over a certain weight to be usable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might be "out there", but isn't there something about using an arrow that weighs a minimum of 6 grains per pound of draw weight? Total weight of the arrow for a, for example, 70 pound draw weight bow should be 420 grains minimum? I think this is to ease the stress on the limbs.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll take another look at my Matthews owner's manual/Easton arrow chart tonight.

(Edited to add) RVer, I see you are set at 62 pounds draw weight, so using 100s for total arrow weight of 37X gr would put you right at this minimum total arrow weight.

Bill

[ 08-16-2002, 01:22: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
That sounds right and 370 ish shoiuld be OK out of RVer's bow.
If he went down to 75 then I believe whe would be under the "limit"

[ 08-16-2002, 18:09: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Amosgreg. Here's the quote from the Easton arrow chart reprinted in the Matthews owner's manual:

Warning: Over stressing compound bows by using arrows lighter than AMO recommendations may cause damage to the bow and possible injury to the shooter. AMO compound bow manufacturers have issued the following warning:
Total arrow weight (shaft weight shown in Easton chart plus weight of point, insert [if used] and fletching plus nock and UNI bushing) should be greater than 6 grains per pound of peak bow weight for a 60# compound bow with a 30" draw length. Bow weight lighter than 60# and draw lengths shorter than 30" can use arrows lighter than 6 grains/pound of peak bow weight. Bow weight heavier than 60# and draw lengths longer than 30" should use arrows heavier than 6 grains/pound of peak bow weight.

RVer is less than 30", but greater than 60#, so should probably stay around 6 grains/pound (added) minimum.

Waiting for Oct. 1....,

Bill

[ 08-16-2002, 18:08: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Gentlemen,
Thank you for all of the help and information. I always felt there was a minimum, but couldn't remember it. I went down to 100 grain heads and my bow shoots a lot more consistent. Now, just got to start trying some different fixed blade broad heads in preparation for next years hunt.
The shop's chrono is still inoperative, so will have some speeds to post in a week or so...Only 30 days til bow season here in Kentucky...

<DOATargets>
posted
Here is a little something to put in your quiver.
Last night we were shooting at about 30 yards and my buddy said to try his bow. I have shot this bow many times and we practice with each others bows for that "just in case" day. I normally shoot his bow high right ( about 4 inches at 30 yards ) with his arrows. This time I picked his bow up and used one of my arrows instead. They are the same length but I use 2315 with 125 heads and he uses 2213 with 100 heads. I put the pin at the front armpit of the 3d and fired. To our surprise the arrow went exactly were I aimed. I picked up another and tried again and again it went right under the armpit. I now had two smashed arrows and tried a third and this time put the pin on the 12 ring. Guess what? That's right, it went right in the 12 ring ( and you thought I was going to say armpit again). There is a good lesson here and I learn it about every two years and then forget again.
DOA