THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: 1st Buck of the season - pics

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 1st Buck of the season - pics
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Congrads!

Nice Buck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, though I would share the first one of the season with you. (well pics and a story anyway, the meat is staying in my fridge )

I took this guy Tuesday evening (10/5/04), with my bow in Fauqier county, VA. I was hunting with my father at the edge of a pine thicket, that was next to a clover field. I had heard some horns on a tree, out in front of me, and hit the grunt call a couple of times. About 1/2 hour later This boy comes in from down wind (from my left), but never caught my scent. I only had about 10mins of shooting light left. The shot was at 14 yards,(22 ft up) and slightly quarting away. At the shot I heard a "new" sound. It was like a Thwak-uummp...different I though. At the shot the buck dropped like I had hit him with my .338win. At that point I could see the arrow in his back, and new I had hit the spine. I quickly grapped another arrow and drove it through the lungs, as he was pulling him self around by his front half, to see "what happend". I later recovered the 100gr Rocket Steelhead completely imbedded in the spine. I had to use kneedle nose pliers to remove it! The arrow broke right at the insert for the broad head, but it did it's job. I was impressed with the penetration.
My 69 year old dad was about 200 yards behind me in the thicket. So it was kinda special to be able to share the hunt with him as well.

Not a huge buck, but nice. wide 5pt. that dressed out 143 pounds

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote