THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Archer in Africa / Traditional Bow

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archer in Africa / Traditional Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The book I have borrowed from a friend was writen by Bill Negley from San Antonio in 1989 by AMWELL PRESS. He may have been the first modern hunter to take the big five by bow. He started this quest in 1956 after deciding modern rifles were no longer a challenge to him for texas game. Some of his methods are a little shaky by todays standards of securing the animal as fast as possible. The 90 lb.pull of a tradition bow and how he trained with his weapon for his hunts are interesting -- as was the 10K bet he won by accomplishing this feat.
This leatherbound first edition was signed by Bill to my friend in 1990.

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tELwpv2gFAU

kaprota,

link to Bill Negley's elephant hunt. When my husband was 15 years old (1972) he wrote a letter to Bob Swinehart about hoping to hunt Africa one day with a bow. Mr. Swinehart sent him a very gracious letter that my husband still has today.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legend of a man. One of my favourite books. And Bob's, too.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for his book and Swinehart books. Both are difficult to come by!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting For Adventure:
I'm looking for his book and Swinehart books. Both are difficult to come by!

Tom if you hear of an extra copy please let me know.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago--in the mid-70's I was a member of a club in San Antonio that shot on the range next to Gassman's Archery. There was a practice range of about 25 yds, plus a full 28-target field range. One day I noticed an older gentleman "practicing" on the 25-yd range. He was shooting a barebow recurve and only had a single arrow. He'd stand and focus, then in the blink of an eye, raise the bow, draW, anchor, and shoot---all in a smooth, coordinated motion. And, it was invariably in the gold. We'd shoot our 3-4-5 arrows apiece and then when we walked down and pulled, he'd walk down, pull, and return to the the shooting line and repeat. I asked another club member who he was, and the answer was "Bill Negley" which didn't mean anything to me. Since then I've learned a bit about him--

I had a copy of the Swinehart book and didn't know what I had until I lost it in the '98 flood. Then when I tried to replace it--WOW! Pricey for sure

Here's a copy on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/In-Afric...ting+africa+swiehart

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote