Find
Notify
Tools

1st Elk Hunt- Chama
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted
My Son and I made our first elk hunt this past September. My son-in-law and buddy made the trip with us, our first for all.
We hunted with Milligan Brand Outfitter.
On the fifth morning we found a bull rounding up a few cows in a meadow below us. As the headed up the far side we took off and after about a mile or so we started our climb to get ahead of them. We popped into a small clearing and after one cow call the bull let loose..and he was close!
The guide headed down a trail away from the bull and my son and I set up. We could hear the bull growling and walking in the rocks and hear his rack hitting the limbs as he walked out into the clearing.
I drew and settled my pin behind his shoulder 20 yards away......hoping my son would release soon! As I started to put pressure on my release his arrow whacked him right where my pin was setting!
After 125 yards there he was. We had a great trip even though the weather was warm and wet. I did catch a nice little rainbow out of a pound on the outfitters property when we stopped to look at his fishing camp and the mounts in it. [URL=[ [/URL] [URL= ][/URL]

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Awesome!
Congrats on the elk.
Nice trout as well.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote