THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Is there such a thing as a "bow rest" - like a bipod or unipod rifle rest?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there such a thing as a "bow rest" - like a bipod or unipod rifle rest?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone developed a bow rest like a bipod or unipod?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will not work well at all.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, you can't attach it to the limbs at all.
So you would need to attach it to the riser.

And that means you need to attach it permanently to it to make sure it will not touch your limbs.
Or the arrows will fly all over the place.

With a bipod attached to the riser, you will first of all be very much hindered when you move the bow or you need to adjust it for the shot.
You also need to adjust the length of the bipod perfectly all the time to maintain good form.

This will take forever and you will make lots of movement adjusting it and that will most likely make the animal spot you at bowhunting distances.
You will most likely make to much sound too.

Another huge problem and what is the major problem is that the bipod will act like when you lean your rifle barrel directly on a stone/log or whatever when taking the shot.

All bows jump more or less during the shot and having a bipod affecting that jump in a most likely inconsistent way will totally ruin your accuracy.

Arrows move slow even from the fastest bows, so they are easily affected during the shot until they have totally left the bow.

The best sort of "bipod" you can use on a bow, is a long specialized stab like the ones competition shooters use.

Most hunters don't use stabs like that because it hinders the hunter way to much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to rest your arm - say near the wrist - on a bod not attached to the bow. This would help stabilize up-down motion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might be possible to do this when hunting from a blind at a waterhole.
But usually are shots from blinds by waterholes so short that I really don't see the point.

And also in this case you need to have the length of the rest perfect for every shot or it will affect your form in a negative way and your accuracy will suffer much more than the rest might help you.

All of it will be very slow to use and I am totally sure it will ruin your hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking more for stand use, when you had time to set-up. The Primos 65802 Trigger Stick, Tall Gen2 Monopod might work for this purpose, but I'm not sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it will be totally useless from a tree stand or similar as the animals will move to much for you to get time to use it well.

And also because you need to shoot at an angle bending at your hips to get the correct form.

The best advice I can give you, is to totally forget about using any form of rest when hunting with a bow and practice a lot instead Smiler

If you want to use a rest and shoot arrows, you are very much better off using a crossbow.

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Yes- there is such a thing. I just saw one at either Scheels All Sports in St. Cloud, MN or the Cabelas in Rogers, MN. Can't recall which one. It appeared to screw into the riser where a stabilizer would attach. The more I think about it, I think I saw it at Scheels.

-John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a gizmo called "Bowstix Bow Bipod" that allows your bow to stand upright, while you're waiting in your ground blind. It is not designed to shoot off of, but a longer stouter Bowstix-like bow bipod could be designed to shoot off of, but I don't know of anything like that on the market.

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
The Steady Rest by Knight & Hale is a monopod that straps to your bow arm and the monopod rests against your body. I don't know if they still make them or if they work as advertised, but you can do an internet search and find info on them.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote