Find
Notify
Tools

Opening Day buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
Well, I got a buck this evening at 6:30. 35 yards, perfect high heart shot. He must have had zero blood pressure as there was almost no blood -- outside. The lack of blood trail scared me at first, but he only ran about 80 yards in a semi-circle, winding up within 40 yards of where I shot him.

Now I just have to process him - into jerky most likely - as it is too warm to age the meat. Gonna be a long night...

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
COngratulations! That's the way to start the season!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Wahooo! Smiler

Nice work Don. Congrats! Thats a nice lookin buck.

How many #'s of meat do ya figger?

Did you use your new tripod stand?

I spent the whole day at a Mountain Pine Beetle Symposium, if you can imagine that. Was a beautiful day here again too...indian summer continues.

Cheers bud,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Smiler

Now I can only shoot does... Smiler I LIKE eating does!

He's not that heavy by Ohio standards. I'd guess 180-200 on the hoof. I'm guessing he's a 3 year old. That'll probably yield 35 lbs of "jerkable" meat and 25 lbs or so of (very wet) hamburger.

Yep, shot him in the woods (not the cornfield) off the tripod stand. That stand is really nice and solid, and the seat does not squeak at all. I had to turn 180 to shoot him.

Used the 83# Allegiance with 514 grain BuffTuff arrows tipped with a SteelForce broadhead.

So, if you spend Saturday working, does that mean you can take Monday off and go kill something? Wink

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice way to start the season.

Are you going to use the 80lbs bow for all your bow hunting?

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Well done. You can have Monday off.

Go ahead kill 2 beer

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Jakkals,

I got the 80# bow early last year, then killed an elk with it in Sept. and a doe deer soon after. Somewhere on this forum I posted what happened after 14 hrs shivering in a deer stand late last winter - I couldn't draw the bow at all and missed an opportunity at a nice buck.

I think I will heed that lesson and switch back to my 70# FeatherMax bow for the late season. I grabbed the Allegiance for opening day as I was practiced up with it. It does HUM those 510 grain arrows quite nicely, and is quieter than my 8-year-old Mathews FeatherMax.

Jaco, I wish I could get another buck, but Ohio laws are strict- one buck per hunter per year. I do live in an urban area where I can take up to 6 does, though.

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice going Don! At least you can still hunt, unlike when I lived in Ohio---one deer a year.
I have had it happen several times, could not draw the 82# bow in the morning. Went home and shot it for a while and that evening had no trouble. Have used heavy bows so long that when I turn them down a little I feel under bowed.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! Now you're going to see that monster that you've always dreamed about. It never fails.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
bfr,

Yep, I know what you mean. My FeatherMax at 73# now feels anemic. But I think it's plenty good medicine even for the monster that calgarychef correctly predicts will rut under my stand the rest of the Fall! killpc

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a pile of deer with a 62# recurve and almost never had an arrow stick in a deer. Most went through so fast the deer never knew it was shot. Only problems were with bone. Funny how we get to like the stronger bows, but then bone doesn't matter anymore. Legs and shoulders are like they are not there anymore. Heavy arrows and bows rule!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i was out hunting this mourning saw about 30 tukeys and 8 deer but none of them worth shooting. young bucks and does.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Congratulations!!! Now you're going to see that monster that you've always dreamed about. It never fails.

What'd you mean? That looks like a monster to me! I'd like get one like that some time and if it weighs 180 lbs???? that's big!

Ditto on congrats, Don G.

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Used the 83# Allegiance with 514 grain BuffTuff arrows tipped with a SteelForce broadhead.

Is that the same setup you used on the elk last year? Did you have to re-set your pins, or do you just adjust for different distances?

I am glad your new stand worked too! Nice when a plan comes together once in a while, eh? Smiler

Congrats again. 60lbs of delicious venison is a good start to the season....and thats a real nice buck in my neck of the woods.

Cheers bud,
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
I killed a pile of deer with a 62# recurve and almost never had an arrow stick in a deer. Most went through so fast the deer never knew it was shot. Only problems were with bone. Funny how we get to like the stronger bows, but then bone doesn't matter anymore. Legs and shoulders are like they are not there anymore. Heavy arrows and bows rule!

I shoot a 48 pounder. This one time that i missed... Well, okay one of the TIMES i missed....i found the arrow 75 yards away and the point was buried pretty deep in an oak tree. That told me my bow had enough power, but i just had to practice more. Then i did eventually shoot a doe, and the bow made a nice clean kill.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my 82 pounder today and the very top of my right shoulder is sore. Course I shot 30 or 40 shots. Can't shoot now for at least 2 days.
Your 48# compound most likely hits as hard as my old 62# recurve.
The problem with a real strong bow is you have to watch what you shoot at. I shot at a squirrel hugging a big grape vine and you guessed it, I hit the vine. Blew that 2419 into shrapnel and it took me half an hour to find the Judo point. Drive the broadhead into a tree or root, even after going through a deer and the arrow can't even be unscrewed from the tip.
I think I will shortly be turning down my bows, I am 69 and it takes longer to get used to them because I don't have the time to shoot all year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Don. You had better luck than I did. I had 2 does under my stand Sat morning, but it was still too dark out for me to get my pin on em. I had drawn for minutes trying, and eventually had to let it down. I really need to practice shooting in low light conditions.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
gixxer,

Years ago I bought a single pin, swing adjustable TruGlo sight that has the best light-gathering capability of any sight I have ever seen before or since. I can see the pin when I lose the deer. No batteries or gimmicks needed - just a long fiber optic {5 yards?} wound around a clear plastic section of the 2 inch aperture.

I don't know if they still make it, but it is perfect for tree-stand hunting where it's legal to shoot 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after sunrise/sunset.

Yep, they still make it.

Canuck, It's the same arrow, but a lighter BH (125 gr rather than 185). I have yet to find a good, light adapter for the Grizzly BHs. The SteelForce BHs are plenty skookum for deer. I just adjusted the sight body vertically, and now the pins are 10 yards, 30 yards and 40 yards. I'll adjust the top pin down to 20 yards when I get a chance.

As to trophy quality - (and Canuck will tell you I don't pay much attention to horns), around here he'd be considered a "vanilla" 9 point. He is only about as wide as his ears, but has a little length to the tines. Of course, to me he is a nice one with a bow. I think maybe the nicest I've taken with a bow. I've had a couple of others about the same - but now I have a digital camera, so it's easy to post the pictures!

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice job! Where I live that is a monster! I had a dumber than dumb three pt. (eastern) come thru twice last night, he was nervous as a whore in church. I let him go, we get 2 bucks here in MI anyway you can, it was much too early to think about sticking him. I am also a fan of heavy arrows. Great buck.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats Don, Darn fine Buck!

Sounds like the new tripod did it's job.

I saw a bunch of does and that's it. My Sunday evening hunt got ruined by some redneck who decided to build a stand on the property line about prime time and turned his darn deer dogs out while doing so, I was poed to say the least.

Looks like it's going to be hot here all week so I'll probably hang it up until it cools a bit.

How are you making your jerky?

Tenderizing prior? What flavoring?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Our first few days in CT have been lacking in deer and deer sign. Hopefully things will pick up as the weather cools down.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice one, Don, wish I saw bucks like that! I get to try on Saturday.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hi Don. Congrats again on the buck. I've seen a couple of bucks in this same class this weekend as I mentioned in the email. You sure are putting the medicine on them with that setup!

I used to pull 80+ pounds right up till about 3 years ago, then decided that it was a bit much in our Ohio winters. I'm settled on 74# and have been happy with it.

I'm still waiting for Mr. BIG to come out and show himself.

Congrats again.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
My jerky mix is an ad-hoc mix of spicy home-made season salt, just a dash of liquid hickory smoke, and Worcestershire sauce. I pepper it heavily using fresh coarse ground pepper when I lay it out on the rack.

My girls liked it better if I used Teriyaki instead of W, but I thought it too sweet.

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
I concur on the teriyaki, it will kill good jerky.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
One puzzler is: Where is my arrow?

I heard it go whizzing off into the brush - there was a creek bottom behind the buck - so loud and long that at first I thought I might have shot over him.

I have been back twice and cannot find the arrow! It must have really whizzed through him.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I went camping this weekend with a bunch of friends on the farm where I shot this buck.

A whole passel of us went back to my stand to look for the arrow. A friend's wife found it sticking into a tree about 8 feet off the ground 100 yards downhill from the stand. I lasered the range to the buck while I was there: 45 yards from the stand. I guess the downhill factor made up for my ranging error! I had him estimated as 35 yards and used my 30 yard pin to make up for the downhill. So there was a good bit of luck involved in the shot!

The slope there is very steep by Ohio standards - dropping about 30 feet in 100 yards of slant range. The buck was on a slight ridge that ran slanting across the major slope, which let the arrow travel so far behind him. Still, that arrow must have been still really moving when it came out of him!

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
why does the bowtech website only list the Allegiance as 70 lb max limbs?

I really like an 80 lb bow, but Mathews is the same way... 70 max.

now I know you have an 80+ lb bow... special order?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I got it early last year. The 80# limbs were on the brochure, so I ordered it. They usually only have one "premier" bow in the list that goes over 70#.

But I'll bet you can still order an Allegiance at 80#.

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother has an Allegiance that pulls 90 lbs.He wacks pretty good with it also.Shoots 2219's with either Steelforce 210's or Wentzel Woodsmans.

Bad to the bone.

I shoot a Hoyt Deviator at 83lbs.I also shoot 2219's.Last night I took a doe and took out her on-side leg and heart before exiting in front of the opposte shoulder.Stevy Wonder could have tracked her even though it was drizzling rain.I really advocate the heaviest bow one can handle well and a heavy arrow to boot.This set-up has served me well on everything from small cats to Cape Buffalo.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Don, congratulations that is one great start to the season.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote