New
Find
Notify
Tools

been moose hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well last week we came damned close to getting a nice young moose with our recurves. It was raining like hell and snowing all day. We hunted hard for about 6 hours and were trudging home, finally able to talk above a whisper we weren't looking for game anymore. All we were thinking about was getting our sorry and wet asses back to the truck. We jumped the little guy at about 15 yards and were totally unprepared. My buddy circled to the left and I circled right, I was the lucky guy to see the moose just on the edge of the treeline. Unfortunately I wasn't comfortable with the shot, I could have made it but I was a little worried about a 40 yard shot with a 50 lb. recurve.

Next week we're going to backpack in and stay a week, hopefully we'll see his big brother.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun, good luck!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Where are you hunting??

Good luck BTY

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're S.W. of Calgary on a ranch. There's a lot of moose and elk around the area so we're hopeful. On the other hand it's still not like going up north-I think I've been spoiled by doing that. We'll back pack into the Kananaskis and camp there on public land. Then we can hunt the ranch as they don't allow camping on the ranch. If we get the moose we have to pack it out or go get horses, so I guess it depends where it falls as to what we'll do. Packing in-whew lots of work. Hopefully I can save some room in the pack for a bottle of Scotch. Wink

the hopeful chef