New
Find
Notify
Tools

New boyer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at the Calgary gun show and lo and behold there was a custom boyer there. He had some very nice longbows and his prices start at about 450 cdn. I was totally blown away by his quality and some interesting limb ideas. I'm going to drive the 3 hours to his house to shoot his bows and I'll probably order one. Interesting thing-he has a lifetime warranty, whereas most boyers only go one or two years warranty.

I'll report back when I've shot the bow and let y'all know what I think.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Sounds pretty neat. Lifetime warranty, very cool. What kind of bows does he do? Long bow? Recurve?

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Chef,

Will You be kind enough providing us some pictures of these bows. And more data.
Thanks

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly will. I'm driving to Edmonton this Saturday to shoot with the fellow. I'll let you know monday what I think. I'll even let you know what configuration I'm ordering.

I'm thinking about a 45 lb bow. My thinking is to have something light to shoot at the longbow meets and for doe hunting on the ground, 40 lbs is the minimum for hunting here. It will be gentle on my old shoulders and if I like it I'll get another about 55-60 lbs for hunting moose and bear.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have gone to shoot those bows Big Grin I ordered a sweet little combination. The outer laminations are going to be sage, with a purple heart inner lam. Cocobolo riser etc. I ordered 56 lb @ 28 62 inches long. Those bows shot pretty sweet I must admit. After one shot to settle in I shot a 3 inch group-three arrows at about 20 yards or a little more. Like I said they are sweet bows. The only thing that I'm not fully sure of is the final finish, Jerry uses a 2 part matt epoxy finish. He doesn't wet sand it after he's done-his idea is that it's less reflective and that's true. I really think it would bring out the wood to wet sand with some 600 grit, on the other hand is a hunting bow. Final price with the upgraded wood is $525.00 Can. in case anyone is interested. It's only a 4 month wait and that's not bad but it's going to be a long wait!!

the chef

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
chef - Well done!...The hard part will be the wait.

I wouldn't worry about the finish, you can always rub some mud on the limbs before season. It will dull the shine and it's very natural camo. Or you can put those cute little limb covers on it it Roll Eyes

My hunting bow has a osage & cocobolo riser and that combo looks great.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's going to be one sweet bow Chef. It will be a long wait, but as you said, it's really not that long. One could easily wait that long to get a bow from a major manufacturer, so I'm impressed with his turnaround time. thumb Hope it all works out for you.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done, chef! It's only money anyway.

Meet ya at the archery range when she is done?

Frans (back to practicing whenever I can steal half an hour from the basement work; gotta kill something with the bow this year!)

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Franz I'll meet ya at the archery range any time. I've got more time than money or brains and I love to shoot my recurve. I'll be at the calgary archery center friday evening and maybe at the outdoor one thurs afternoon. I could maybe sign you in at the outdoor one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You be real careful about killing things with that bow....it's addicting.

I'm also up for gophers if you're interested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I only have brains, no time and certainly no money.

Where's that outdoor range? On HW 8?

You got a place where we could try for gophers?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea it's on the highway to Bragg creek from Calgary I think that's #8. I imagine we could knock on any farmers door and get permission to shoot with our bows. As long as we use judo points we won't lose any for his prize bull to step on.