New
Find
Notify
Tools

A friends daily walk.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After raining much of the day it quit and I left the house about 7:45.. Really was just going out for a walk, didn't plan on seeing anything but as often happens, that wasn't the case..

Just before dark I saw a small pig working his way through the brush towards me. I closed the distance until I was about 50 yards from him and chose one of two trails that I thought he would travel.. I chose the wrong one, he came right down the one I was standing on.. When he was 10 steps away and coming I decided to take the shot.
It hit right where I was aiming on top of his neck, I know it's a poor shot with a bow and perhaps I shouldn't have taken it, but I did.
I thought it was going to drop him but he gathered himself and made a run and wound up right in the middle of a wild lemon thicket.. This is some nasty thick stuff, but I was able to get him out...
I was shooting the JD Berry Renaissance that's 51 or 52# at my draw.. A spruce shaft and an Eclipse broadhead.
Attachments area
[Image]

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great day. No images shown, however.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right Jim.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I posted pics earlier, where did they go?
I will post a few again.

He shoots a rifle also

I posted these earlier and they didn't appear. I can send more tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys wanted pictures and went into hiding. I can post more if you really want to see them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the pics tu2
I would enjoy to see more.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another story.

Last night Vicki and I went hunting after the 10 o'clock news. We hadn't gone much over 1/4 of a mile from the house when she spotted the 'upside down' pig in the spotlight. She squirmed out the window to work the light while I gathered up the rifle. He was pretty close, maybe 75 yards. He was moving on out so my shot placement wasn't as good as it could have been but hit him high in the lungs just behind the shoulder. The shot put him down immediately.. So we continued on down the road. I thought the shot might have caused others to vacate the area and it might have.
After making another couple of miles I spotted a small group running beside the truck maybe 100 yards out.. I kept the truck rolling and handed the light to Vicki who again worked the light from the passenger side of the truck. By the time she got the light on them and I got the rifle the pigs were traveling directly away. I had no shot but chose the largest one and put a 95 grainer right in the middle of it's ass. I heard the shot hit . By this time the pigs had made some light brush and we lost them in the light.
Got up this morning and wanted to go check the pigs. I drove by the first one knowing where he was. I got to the scene of the second shot and left the truck. I took my slung my rifle over my shoulder and walked out to where I had last seen the butt shot pig.. I walked another 75 yards and spied the pig beside a small bush.. Really was a bit surprised to see it so close but walked to quite pleased.. When I was about 30 yards out I grabbed up my rifle and put a round in the chamber. I had seen pigs live over night before. As I approached the pig I was watching for movement of any kind and saw none. I was about to be surprised !! When I got to within eight or ten feet this bitch jumped up grunting and squealing... It sounded quite loud !!! In an instant she was spinning to come at me and I fired a shot into her from the hip feeling as if time was of the essence. The shot hit her behind the shoulder high and took her down but not out. She was pissed and still squealing so I shot her again in order resolve the problem.. The old sow gave me a bit of a start! What a great way to start the morning, get your juices flowing..

Been walking every evening as is my habit.. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any game lately, the possibility, however, makes the exercise much more palatable !

I really like the 6x47 as it offers great accuracy, little recoil and a good degree of punch. But It has let me down a couple of times on pigs. In making this statement I also recall more that one that I shot with the various .375's that also failed to be impressive.. So perhaps it's just dealing with a very tough animal despite it's not very imposing size. It takes a good hog to go over 250 pounds, at least in the area that I hunt.

Last evening I was disappointed again. I left the truck and had made 1/2 mile going into the wind when I spied a pig about 400 yards farther on. I quickened my pace to close the distance. Now I'm pretty sure I could have hit him but I generally prefer to get as close as possible to eliminate any potential error. And I like to KNOW that when I pull the trigger the animal is going down. I made it to about 175 yards or so when I thought I should find a rest and take the shot. Just in front of me was a fence line and I kneeled by a large post and got a rock solid hold. The pig was slightly quartering to me and I shot him in the middle of the neck. He was bowled over and laid on the ground stiff legged. It appeared as if he was totally incapacitated with a broken neck... I got up feeling as if I had done well and started towards the pig. I noticed he started kicking a bit but paid him little attention as I walked and reloaded the rifle.. Momentarily I looked back up and the pig had regained his footing and was making towards the woods.. I simply had no time to respond before he was out of sight.. I got that sinking feeling. When I arrived on the scene I went into the woods, which was just a small neck, and looked thoroughly and he was gone! Somehow he eluded me or buried up in some briars and I just couldn't find him..

The load was the same one I've been using for a few weeks now, the 95 grain ballistic tip at about 3,200 fps. It would seem as if my search for an all around bullet for this fine little round isn't over yet ..