New
Find
Notify
Tools

BIG Ohio Whitetails
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought i would post this for a friend of mine.

Like all of us that love chasing whitetails, i hear a great deal of discussion about the best state or the top three, five...on and on.
Living in Ohio is close to purgatory, however, in my opinion it is the best state for big whitetails.
Along with this buck we have taken a multitude of big bucks. In those there have been 5 or 6 B&C's and twice that many P&Y's. ALL off the same farm. No food plots either. Just a strong practice of letting the little bucks and those that are clearly not mature to walk off and grow up. Then we will try our hardest to poke a broadhead through them.
That said, it is not easy to do any harm to mature whitetail. I have hunted dozens of other species and NONE come close to the difficulty of a mature whitetail. Some animals certainly live in more difficult terrain, but that does not necessarily make that animal more difficult to hunt.

Enough ranting, here’s the photos of the latest to fall...

Real close to 19†on the inside with a 12 point frame and a 13th point at the left base. 164 gross. Looks to be around a 4 ½ to 5 ½ year old deer.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
WOW !!!

That is an awesome animal.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
What a toad! That's great.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Nice one!

Saying there are no food plots on an Ohio farm can be misleading, as most Ohio bucks have easy access to soybeans and/or corn in the regular row-crop fields.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am from Ohio and the largest I seen went over 400# and had 18 points. A store owner took his picture in the field across from the store and showed me after I told him about the buck. His hoof print in firm dirt was 5-1/2" long. I know of one hit by a truck that was similar in size but went 420#. I think Ohio has much larger deer then Canada.
I just watched Jim Shockly spend 20 days hunting what he called a huge white tail in Canada and the picture here shows a larger deer.
Now I am here in WV and there is not a buck one that interests me so I hunt doe.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys i am sure my friend appreciates it.

As for the food crops Don, true enough. I agree with what you said. I even use that as an example on occasion when people that have never bear hunted knock the idea of 'baiting'. I simply ask them if they hunt deer and if so do they hunt them over a corn field? I leave them pondering their choices of perceived ethics.

bfrshooter,
here here,
I have personally shot two deer i know to exceed the 300 pound mark. PIGS is how i refer to them from now on.
I have photos on my computer somewhere. One was a real dandy with a drop tine.
The other was a big ten with the largest skull i have EVER seen on any deer anywhere. A freak of sorts. The rack was nice too, but too damn bad i could not score the skull.
Beyond that i have shot a fair many bucks that exceed the 200 pounds dressed weight.

Ohio truly has some pigs. The Pigs of purgatory!

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd have to agree with you on that one, ohio definitely has some monster bucks, i live in southern ohio and got an 8 point with a 21" inside that had to weigh over 350lbs , it was an absolute monster. i killed it just behind my house where i hunt on about 25 acres and there at at least 3 that size or bigger that travel the ridge line there. they are everywhere